Adding account in Mac mail

Reaction score
Hi. I have been linking my Earthlink email account to my Mac mail, using Mac Mail for all of my email stuff.

Now, I would like to create a new .mac email account. I believe I was "assigned" one when I bought my Mac years ago, but I can't remember what it was and can't find it.

So, I've been trying to "add" an account in Mac mail using the "+" feature, but it won't let me enter a new username and password. I've tried several, but none work.

I did this using by setting it up as an IMAP account (Earthlink is a POP account). I used the correct servers: incoming mail server: mail.mac.com
outgoing mail server: smtp.mac.com.

I'm doing everything the Mail Help directions say to do. Why isn't is working?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Creating new account in Mac mail

Hi. I have been linking my Earthlink email account to my Mac mail, using Mac Mail for all of my email stuff.

Now, I would like to create a new .mac email account. I believe I was "assigned" one when I bought my Mac years ago, but I can't remember what it was and can't find it.

So, I've been trying to "add" an account in Mac mail using the "+" feature, but it won't let me enter a new username and password. I've tried several, but none work.

I did this using by setting it up as an IMAP account (Earthlink is a POP account). I used the correct servers: incoming mail server: mail.mac.com
outgoing mail server: smtp.mac.com.

I'm doing everything the Mail Help directions say to do. Why isn't is working?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You need to purchase MobileMe to use your address, it's not free. You may have gotten one was part of a 30-day trial, but unless you paid for it, you no longer have it.

http://www.me.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
So are you a current MobileMe customer? You need to add an existing email account from an active MobileMe subscription unless I am missing something here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
merged your threads, please don't post the same question in multiple place.

OP
L
Reaction score
@mac.com

Sorry for the double post! I'm brand new to this and after I posted my first thread, I noticed that it was in the wrong place, so I re-posted elsewhere. Please forgive. :)

I'm actually interested in the @mac.com email. Has that changed to @me.com?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Sorry for the double post! I'm brand new to this and after I posted my first thread, I noticed that it was in the wrong place, so I re-posted elsewhere. Please forgive. :)

I'm actually interested in the @mac.com email. Has that changed to @me.com?

Yes it has. I don't think you have a choice nowadays. I know they are making an announcement soon (Monday @ WWDC I believe). I would wait until then to do anything...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.