Mac Desktop overheating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
Hello I own a newer Mac desktop that gets very how after being used for a long period of time (like 2 hours depending on what I'm doing) I was wondering if this is normal and how hot it would need to get for damage to be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
define hot please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
CPU, GPU temperatures please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
Your mac knows when it's too hot. It is designed to run up to a certain temperature, designed by apple engineers. If it gets too hot, it will shut its self down. There is no need to worry about the temperatures of your computer.

Reaction score
Your mac knows when it's too hot. It is designed to run up to a certain temperature, designed by apple engineers. If it gets too hot, it will shut its self down. There is no need to worry about the temperatures of your computer.
The 'too hot' threshold is arbitary. If it's running its fans at full speed all the time, trying to keep cool, something's not right.

Also, running at very high temperatures (but not deemed high enough for damage by said Apple engineers) will cause solder joints on BGA chips to fracture over time. A common failure mode for many logic boards on both Mac and small form factor PCs.

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
I'm not sure if my computer has fans because i never hear them, and Dutchlimits I am not sure how to find out what my cpu gpu temperatures are, but it's hot enough to hurt my hand not so much that i have to pull it away though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I am not sure how to find out what my cpu gpu temperatures are, but it's hot enough to hurt my hand not so much that i have to pull it away though.

iStatMenus 2.0 should help you out. Dont upgrade or update to the newer version as it goes paid at some stage. This is still free. Sits in you Menu bar for your convenience.

This is the paid .v3 but works the same for this version.

20110528-tkme4sgjtc52mpc2ajsa6cw6x1.jpg

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was wondering if Temperature Monitor was an accurate app because i just downloaded it here is a sceenshot Picture 1.png sorry it kinda small

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
those temps are all well within a normal range. What makes you think it's 'hot' in the first place?

btw, they all probably just parse ioreg output anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How 'newer' and what model desktop?

Have a look at smcFanControl which will speed up fans on an Intel machine. Always helps if you provide the model and operating system.

http://www.eidac.de/?p=134

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would love to understand this obsession with temperatures. Newsflash: Computers generate heat - and the more powerful they get, the hotter they run. Apple does a pretty good job mitigating the thermal output of their machines relative to the rest of the industry. If you want to see a machine that truly runs hot, I'd submit my 2003 vintage Dell Inspiron 8200. Relative to that machine, my i7 MacBook Pro is an ice cube.

If you've got an overclocked gaming rig, that's one thing.... a pedestrian iMac or MacBook doesn't need to be monitored for the most part. I do agree however, that if the fans are on at max RPM 24/7, there might be a problem - but for the most part, enjoy your machine and allow it to work as it was designed.

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tempatures that I displayed were not at a time that I though the computer was how, I've just never had a Mac desktop before and I was surprised at how hot it was getting. Thanks for all the posts. :)

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tempatures that I displayed were not at a time that I though the computer was how, I've just never had a Mac desktop before and I was surprised at how hot it was getting. Thanks for all the posts. :)

Hot not how second line

Reaction score
I would love to understand this obsession with temperatures. Newsflash: Computers generate heat - and the more powerful they get, the hotter they run. Apple does a pretty good job mitigating the thermal output of their machines relative to the rest of the industry. If you want to see a machine that truly runs hot, I'd submit my 2003 vintage Dell Inspiron 8200. Relative to that machine, my i7 MacBook Pro is an ice cube.

If you've got an overclocked gaming rig, that's one thing.... a pedestrian iMac or MacBook doesn't need to be monitored for the most part. I do agree however, that if the fans are on at max RPM 24/7, there might be a problem - but for the most part, enjoy your machine and allow it to work as it was designed.
In my experience, Macs do in general run hotter than a similar priced PC laptop though. I guess this is down to cost-cutting, as the heatsink is far smaller, and cosmetics - Apple don't like having visible vents.

I'll refer back to the Dell D630, which has the exact same specs as a plastic Macbook - same GPU, same stepping CPU and it's the same size. However, it has a heatsink twice as large as the Macbook and idles at 30C; under full load on a fluffy pillow (worst case scenario, vents partially blocked), it only hits 55C.

Keep the heatsink clean as due to its small size, dust buildup will cause it to overheat rapidly. The fans will run at full speed when this happens, trying to cool itself down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience, Macs do in general run hotter than a similar priced PC laptop though. I guess this is down to cost-cutting, as the heatsink is far smaller, and cosmetics - Apple don't like having visible vents.

I'll refer back to the Dell D630, which has the exact same specs as a plastic Macbook - same GPU, same stepping CPU and it's the same size. However, it has a heatsink twice as large as the Macbook and idles at 30C; under full load on a fluffy pillow (worst case scenario, vents partially blocked), it only hits 55C.

Keep the heatsink clean as due to its small size, dust buildup will cause it to overheat rapidly. The fans will run at full speed when this happens, trying to cool itself down.

I'm going to go with form factor and aesthetics, cost would simply be passed along.. and lets face it, average Apple consumers would pay the additional 1% it'd cost. Either way, the processor itself controls the thermal shutdown characteristics and that's all Intel. All the Apple engineers have to do is build their machine to keep within Intel's specs for running temperatures.

It all comes down to the same thing. You put a powerful processor into a small area and it will generate heat. Heck you should see the fan assemblies on mainframes, and those things are generally installed to be cooled by air forced through the frame from the floor.

Reaction score
I'm curious about this issue myself. My '08 Imac is randomly shutting down. I've narrowed it down to either overheating or a logic board issue. (I took it in last week to be looked at, they ran all the diagnostics, and couldn't find anything). It feels extremely hot to touch, and I can't figure out any consistent pattern for the shut down. I don't know what "normal" temperatures are, but I've attached my Sensor overview in both C and F. Thanks for any help you could give me.

Picture 4.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm curious about this issue myself. My '08 Imac is randomly shutting down. I've narrowed it down to either overheating or a logic board issue. (I took it in last week to be looked at, they ran all the diagnostics, and couldn't find anything). It feels extremely hot to touch, and I can't figure out any consistent pattern for the shut down. I don't know what "normal" temperatures are, but I've attached my Sensor overview in both C and F. Thanks for any help you could give me.

That ambient air reading can't be accurate. I'm going to assume its measured at the intake. Is it possible the intake areas could be clogged with dust?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
None of those temps are sufficient to cause any issues with the iMac in question although they do seem a bit high to just be "idle" temps. What was the iMac doing when you captured that screen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.