• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Apple testing new MacBook Air powered by same A5 processor as iPad 2

Reaction score
Rumor: Apple testing new MacBook Air powered by same A5 processor as iPad 2

A new report claims that Apple has built a test MacBook Air powered by the same low-power A5 processor found in the iPad, and the company was impressed by the results.

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Seems like it could be a good fit for the Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
Am I wrong to say that you couldn't run Lion on an A5?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't take this as gospel, but I had read that there will be ARM support also in Lion. Just a rumor I read, but Microsoft is saying Windows 8 will have full ARM support also.

If this is really true, it would mean that the Air could no longer run any Intel Apps. To me that would be a disaster!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm sure that if the device runs on the A5 that there would some sore of built in emulator to allow it to run Intel Apps.

The biggest disaster here though would be one of impressions. One of the reasons that Apple went with Intel was that it was a big, household name. Many folks feel more comfortable buying a machine with an Intel CPU since they have been using Intel based systems, or something like Intel, all of their lives. Jumping to the ARM chip might bring a boost in performance but it would likely cause a hit in pubic opinion and could end up hurting Apples bottom line. If it were to cause a loss of compatibility with Intel based software or impede the ability to run other Intel based OS's natively then it would only cause more issues for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The biggest disaster here though would be one of impressions. One of the reasons that Apple went with Intel was that it was a big, household name. Many folks feel more comfortable buying a machine with an Intel CPU since they have been using Intel based systems, or something like Intel, all of their lives.

I have to disagree. I'm not so sure Apple made the switch to Intel because of perception issues, but rather logistical ones. The average person could tell you what Intel is. ;)

And especially with the proliferation of devices and processors out there, the average computer users doesn't care or couldn't even name the processor they have in their machine since it really doesn't matter as long as it does what they want. I don't see people not buying iPhones and iPads because it doesn't have an Intel processor.

THe only people in the end who will care are power users or Intel fanboys neither of whom are really Apple's core market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to disagree. I'm not so sure Apple made the switch to Intel because of perception issues, but rather logistical ones. The average person could tell you what Intel is. ;)

And especially with the proliferation of devices and processors out there, the average computer users doesn't care or couldn't even name the processor they have in their machine since it really doesn't matter as long as it does what they want. I don't see people not buying iPhones and iPads because it doesn't have an Intel processor.

THe only people in the end who will care are power users or Intel fanboys neither of whom are really Apple's core market.

Notice I sais "one for the reasons". The switch was primarily made for the reasons you cite, but they could have just as well gone with AMD and chose not to. Intel is a household name and everyone knows that silly little Intel jingle by heart.

iPhones and iPads are new and while they have blurred the lines between the traditional computing environment and the mobile environment they did not start out with the old technology and the old players. They are a new playing field that is still open to all at this point. IF Apple had chosen Intel chips vice their ARM chips it would have sealed the field right away. HAd Intel jumped onboard and started fielding Intel based devices en-mass first it might be different as well. Another CPU switch for Mac is going to turn a lot of people off, especially those switcher who decided that having a familiar name associated with the box made them more comfortable.

With the PPC line it was the "MHz Myth" between the two CPU lines (PPC and Intel) and the same would happen with a switch to ARM. With Intel, a C2D is a C2D, an i3 is an i3 and an 17 is an i7 regardless of wether the box is made by Apple or Dell or HP. There may be more to that story but that is what the average user sees and really what matters The same CPUs running different OSs is easer for the average Joe to understand than trying to figure out what the difference between Intel and ARM is when they both say "3Ghz" on the box.

Even if Windows 8 supports ARM, moving would well leave those who run older MS OSs behind and might eventually cause them to leave the Mac platform. We here I've to preach the line to give OSX a chance and don't instal Windows, but even a die hard Mac guy like me has XP on my iMac to run some games and I love it. Losing that would be a step backwards IMO and would be the same for many switchers who are learning to embrace OSX but still want that old Windows setup "just in case".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In every test I have seen, AMD is lagging in performance behind Intel and also at the time Jobs decided to go with Intel, it was providing much better performance per Watt of current drawn than AMD. I am sure that is still true. Apple went with Intel for performance and lower current draw. Jobs said it on stage in fact when he announced the Intel transition.

From what I can see, that is still the case today.

IF (Notice I said IF) the rumors are true and Apple is planning switching all the Notebooks including the MBP to ARM, they better make an ARM CPU that keeps up with that Intel is doing.

Reaction score
I know there's a very slim chance of this happening, but if Apple created an TV version of iOS in addition to the iDevices (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone)...maybe iOS will appear on MBA? Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know there's a very slim chance of this happening, but if Apple created an TV version of iOS in addition to the iDevices (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone)...maybe iOS will appear on MBA? Just a thought.

What's the slim chance in that statement? Apple creating a version of iOS for the ATV 2 (which it already has) or creating a version of iOS for the MBA? Don't forget that iOS is, at it's core, OSX already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'm sure that if the device runs on the A5 that there would some sore of built in emulator to allow it to run Intel Apps.

The biggest disaster here though would be one of impressions. One of the reasons that Apple went with Intel was that it was a big, household name. Many folks feel more comfortable buying a machine with an Intel CPU since they have been using Intel based systems, or something like Intel, all of their lives. Jumping to the ARM chip might bring a boost in performance but it would likely cause a hit in pubic opinion and could end up hurting Apples bottom line. If it were to cause a loss of compatibility with Intel based software or impede the ability to run other Intel based OS's natively then it would only cause more issues for Apple.

I disagree with losing the 'known' processor angle. The marketing strategy for an ARM processor could very easily be as follows: "We've reworked the processors from the most successful iPhone ever to create a faster and more powerful core for our new MacBook Air. Now delivering even better performance with reduced energy requirements, meaning you get faster applications plus a longer battery life." The majority of people know next to nothing about processors, and are easily swayed by marketing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree with losing the 'known' processor angle. The marketing strategy for an ARM processor could very easily be as follows: "We've reworked the processors from the most successful iPhone ever to create a faster and more powerful core for our new MacBook Air. Now delivering even better performance with reduced energy requirements, meaning you get faster applications plus a longer battery life." The majority of people know next to nothing about processors, and are easily swayed by marketing.

Again, they may know nothing about processors, but what they do know is as follows:

Intel = Good

Not Intel = What?

The sales/marketing strategy you mention above would probably work well, but for many consumers a name they know is important.

Apple is, all other things aside, an expert at marketing. They have used the Intel line to increase sales on a vast scale that they could never have done before. Far more people have been willing to switch because of the Intel name than would probably have ever considered it before.

Reaction score
Hi,

About the 2 points discussed above, here's my short opinion:

- ARM is a bit of a household already. People who know processor names go: Intel = fast, ARM = efficient. The MBA with an ARM ? Woh, we'll get a lot more battery life, good ! Remember that the ARM architecture was launched before the i386, so it has had quite some time to rise to its current status.
- Applications: because Apple's developer toolbox seems to be fairly processor agnostic, there shouldn't be too much delay before a number of applications are launced as ARM native.

What I'm a bit worried about, though, is that they'll position the MBA squarely between the MBP and the iPad. At the moment, it's much closer to the MBP. I would like the MBA to get even closer to the MBP so that I can have an 11" desktop replacement. If Apple pushes the MBA down, it would not fit my plans for the future and I might have to reconsider my move to Apple. (Looking for an extremely portable machine that would serve both as a semi-PDA/daily surfing as well as a base machine for organising my photos and music).

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but ARM is NOT a household name. Maybe for you and I it is but the public as whole knows that stupid Intel Jingle by heart these days. You hear it nearly every day on TV, be it an Intel ad, a Dell ad, an HP ad etc. Ever seen an ARM commercial? Even one made by Apple? Nope, you sure haven't. Why? Because Apple doesn't tout what's under the hood on TV, they tout the beauty and the ease of use. Heck, to be Frank, I'd never even HEARD of ARM before Apple acquired them and started using the chips and I'm fairly tech savvy.

Apple touts the A5 chip for the new iPad, but they in-store ads don't say "ARM", they say A5. The average Joe wouldn't know what ARM was if you asked them (well, except for maybe that thing between their shoulder and hand) but ask them what Intel is and most of them can do the jingle from memory.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

About the 2 points discussed above, here's my short opinion:

- Applications: because Apple's developer toolbox seems to be fairly processor agnostic, there shouldn't be too much delay before a number of applications are launced as ARM native.

Peter.

Peter, what scares me though is remember, Lion will no longer run Power PC code with Rosetta. So what if they do that with future Macs with ARM and cut off Intel apps. That would cost me $$$ I do not have. Not to be negative but that seems to be the trait of Apple of late.

Reaction score
Bags,

Maybe in the US, most people know the Intel name. I know that in Belgium, nobody knows or cares about the processor. The ones that do know Intel frequently also know AMD and ARM. No Intel jingles around here. So the public as a whole, as you say it, is generalising the US market to the whole world.

Dtravis,

I can imagine you're scared by that prospect, but I don't think Apple would kick out all Intel for ARM any time soon. If Apple would start using ARM for running MacOS, it'd be the lowest spec computers first. ARM isn't ready at all to start competing in the arena where the MBP, Mac Pro, ... play.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bags,

Maybe in the US, most people know the Intel name. I know that in Belgium, nobody knows or cares about the processor. The ones that do know Intel frequently also know AMD and ARM. No Intel jingles around here. So the public as a whole, as you say it, is generalising the US market to the whole world.

That may be very true and I had not considered it. Intel's marketing here in the US (North America in general) has been aggressive for the last 20 years or so.

Then again, how many PCs are sold in Belgium as opposed to the US?

Oh, and it's "baggss" not "bags"....

Reaction score
Hi Baggss,

Sorry about the typo in your name, I assumed you added letters just for your nick. Anyway. Obviously, the Belgian market is way smaller than the US market. There's probably more PCs sold per month in the US than that there's inhabitants in Belgium. But it would be interesting to find out if Intel is a household name in the rest of Europe. Many companies, particularly in a technical market like CPUs, don't go through the effort of doing all the translation work for large scale marketing outside the US. So here in Europe, we frequently get exactly the same goods as you do, but people care less about the brand, let alone about what's inside.

Peter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.