Snow leopard restore without discs

Reaction score
Im a newbie here found the site through google, there where a few posts along the lines of what I was looking, but not quite.

I bought a macbook pro 13inch of ebay about 8 months ago and its running well problem is it didnt come with any discs and now I am looking to sell it on to upgrade.

Is it possible to completely clean all my details from the macbook by adding a new admin user and deleting my user?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Note that the SL retail disc will not work if it is a 2010 or 11 computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Note that the SL retail disc will not work if it is a 2010 or 11 computer

I bought a used mbp mid-2010 one, the seller has the SL retail disc, and not the original disks, yet when i installed the retail one, no problem.
Can you clarify a bit ?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I bought a used mbp mid-2010 one, the seller has the SL retail disc, and not the original disks, yet when i installed the retail one, no problem.
Can you clarify a bit ?

It depends partially on the version of SL that shipped with the machine and the version of SL on the retail disc. It has to do with driver availability. The original retail discs will not install on 2010 Macs and the current ones will not install on 2011 models. As every 2010 & 2011 Mac shipped with SL and a SL disc was included, there was no reason for the drivers for those models to be included on the retail discs.

You have a Mac that shipped with SL, you really need the original discs. You takes your chances with a retail version that may not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
It depends partially on the version of SL that shipped with the machine and the version of SL on the retail disc. It has to do with driver availability. The original retail discs will not install on 2010 Macs and the current ones will not install on 2011 models. As every 2010 & 2011 Mac shipped with SL and a SL disc was included, there was no reason for the drivers for those models to be included on the retail discs.

You have a Mac that shipped with SL, you really need the original discs. You takes your chances with a retail version that may not work.

Thanks.
For future reference the best bet will be to get from Apple the replacement disks instead of retail ones ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Thanks.
For future reference the best bet will be to get from Apple the replacement disks instead of retail ones ?

Not necessarily. If they work with your computer then than is great and it dosent really matter which you have. And the retail has much more versatility. The retail version might lack some of the apple hardware tests though (Im not sure).

But if a computer was shipped with 10.5 and some one offered me the SL retail discs or the original disc I would go with the SL discs (not sure why I would have to choose between the two though).

But hopefully you get what I am trying to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Not necessarily. If they work with your computer then than is great and it dosent really matter which you have. And the retail has much more versatility. The retail version might lack some of the apple hardware tests though (Im not sure).

But if a computer was shipped with 10.5 and some one offered me the SL retail discs or the original disc I would go with the SL discs (not sure why I would have to choose between the two though).

But hopefully you get what I am trying to say.

You would be missing out on iLife and the hardware test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.