Apple notebook screen has a seam

Reaction score
I accidently fall my Apple notebook to the ground and there is a seam on the sreen .Can I repair it or I have to change a screen? If I change a new one , wether the new screen will affect the color and how much will I cost?:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Sounds like you messed up the LCD and the only fix is to replace the LCD. It shouldn't affect the color (not really sure what you mean by that). It will cost about 100 dollars if you do it yourself 200 if you have someone else do it or 500 if you have apple do it (apple replaces the whole clam shell).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the newer MacBook Pro models, I'm not sure you can just replace the screen without the entire shell. I believe the glass is glued to the frame and would have to be removed first. Supposedly a very difficult process.

What does ifixit say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
On the newer MacBook Pro models, I'm not sure you can just replace the screen without the entire shell. I believe the glass is glued to the frame and would have to be removed first. Supposedly a very difficult process.

What does ifixit say?

It can be done without a lid. I had it done on my 17" MBP. It is glued, but the proper facility has the super cool tools to get it all done properly. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks John. It looks like it's not the kind of job one might want to do themselves. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Thanks John. It looks like it's not the kind of job one might want to do themselves. :)

All it takes is a hair dryer and a spudger. Its pretty easy. The hardest part is making sure you have it spotless before you put it back together.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:) Yeah, I can imagine what would happen otherwise. It's probably best for most folks to let a reliable repair shop (Mac authorized repair) do the work. I know with the economy the way it is that most folks are trying to save money (including me) but sometimes saving money can cost more money, if you know what I mean. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.