iPod Nanos not available

F

fco1922

I find it astonishing that Apple is advertising the iPod Nano in all the major London papers and yet they are not even available in their own store!! The Regent's Street store says they have the 2GB models in stock but cannot promise when they will get the other ones in. This is insane. Talk about abusing their customers and poor customer service. I really wonder when Apple will get it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
You do know that you can order online right? But in reality you contradicted yourself, first you said "they are not even available in their own store" and then you say "The Regent's Street store says they have the 2GB models in stock". So which is it? Do they have them or don't they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It is a bit daft they don't have them all yet - but the fact they're so scarce probably makes them a little bit more desirable, so it might make sense for apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The same thing happened when they introduced the Shuffle.

Just gotta sit tight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - our shuffle was kept in the companys safe and only shown on customer request.

The mini's were even worse apparently.

The nano shouldn't be too bad according to our info from apple - our stores in Munich already have a few...

OP
F

fco1922

no contradiction

Online ordering is not an option as Apple UK does not have 4GB nanos available. they are on order. if you would read other posts you will see that even the promised "3 day delivery" is not assured. As for contradicting myself, Regents Street had a few 2GB nanos in stock but no 4GB models. If you care to call them, they will tell you that they do not know when they will have them in stock.

rberry88 said:
You do know that you can order online right? But in reality you contradicted yourself, first you said "they are not even available in their own store" and then you say "The Regent's Street store says they have the 2GB models in stock". So which is it? Do they have them or don't they?

OP
F

fco1922

Puzzled

I just noticed that you live in the USA. I was referring to London. Nanos are also not available (at least as of today) at the duty free outlets at any of the London airports.

rberry88 said:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
There are 4GB nanos at Heathrow and 2GBs at Manchester, went through both earlier on today.

OP
G

gogreen

I'm not sure if there's a comparable example in the UK, but pretty much every xmas there's a toy that is in short supply and creates mass amounts of publicity (Tickle me Elmo, Furby). If Nano supplies are really that low, news channels will start to show clips of people clawing each other's eyeballs out just to get one, thus free advertising and even more demand when apple actually ships a decent amount.

edited for typo

Reaction score
Ugh! Why does everything come to Canada so late. I just called my local Best Buy and if I buy from there I will have to wait till October! I think I will order online.

OP
F

fco1922

Managed demand

Canada gets things later because the manufacturers try to stimulate demand by enticing people with things that aren't immediately available. It creates the illusion that everyone wants one. However, compared to those of us in Europe, Canadians are lucky; you can just pop across the border. Managed demand in common in industry but you would hope that Apple would be more customer-responsive. Even Microsoft has learned to release products on the same date.

Samsonite said:
Ugh! Why does everything come to Canada so late. I just called my local Best Buy and if I buy from there I will have to wait till October! I think I will order online.

OP
F

fco1922

Good news

That's good to hear but also doesn't say much about Dixon's. When I called them yesterday, their headquarters said they weren't yet available! Isn't it good to know that management is clued in?!

alexmaccoll said:
There are 4GB nanos at Heathrow and 2GBs at Manchester, went through both earlier on today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
In the Seattle area, Nano's come into to the Appple stores in a trickle. I have one ordered through Apple on-line and it shipped 9/15. Regretably, it's been frozen in China owing to customs issues. I checked wiith FedEx and they tell me that the shipping manifest that Apple has does not match the part numbers listed. I paid $ to have it sgipped overnight and now I have no idea when it'll arrive.

I think Apple has mishandled production levels and did not clearly forecast the market demand for this product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i went to the chestnut hill apple store and they only had the 2 gig versions...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.