• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Possibility of recovering stolen iPad 2 and Macbook

Reaction score
Hello,

This past Monday my apartment in El Centro, CA, was burglarized and the aforementioned items were stolen. Both items were pretty new, uninsured, and with no security measures installed. The MacBook wasn't even set up to require a log in at boot up. Yes, I know, I'm a moron.

All I have are the serial #'s and a police agency in one of the poorest areas of the nation investigating. Any suggestions on tracking these devices?

Thanks in advance,

VIGILANTE

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to tell you this, but unless you're extremely lucky you will probably never recover those items. With the amount of burglaries that take place in any large city, it's unlikely the police will spend much time if any, on your particular incident. Keep the police report as proof of loss for when you file your 2011 taxes.

As for tracking the iPad or MacBook... without any preinstalled security or tracking software installed, there is no way to do so.

OP
V
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but unless you're extremely lucky you will probably never recover those items. With the amount of burglaries that take place in any large city, it's unlikely the police will spend much time if any, on your particular incident. Keep the police report as proof of loss for when you file your 2011 taxes.

As for tracking the iPad or MacBook... without any preinstalled security or tracking software installed, there is no way to do so.

Thanks for the reply. Its a small (40,000) city, though, and its one burglary in a series in the apartment complex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
What security measures do forum members recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Perhaps not leaving valuable, portable equipment unattended...or securing such when not present. May seem like a hassle ( not sure why ) but realistically...what else is there...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of course the best security is to keep things securely locked up somewhere out of sight. However, break ins at apartment complexes are quite common especially for apartments which are on the ground floor level.

As for measures you can take: Use a firmware password. (Access the Apple knowledge base to learn how.) Install security and tracking software. Here is one company that sells it - Orbicule.

Also, if you live in an apartment complex, buy renter's insurance with a small or no deductible. Renter's insurance is inexpensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
My advice would be to take it to Apple. Although they don't physically track down stolen macbooks and other Apple hardware, they do have the ability to write down notes or comments on stolen property along with their serial numbers. So, when someone brings it in to the store, they will know if it's you bringing it, or the person who stole it or purchased it from the burglar. It's honestly the only thing I would do. Even police departments aren't motivated enough for such a case! I also have MobileMe, and can track the ipad. That would easily help you track down both of them if you had the service, and did it in a timely fashion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Of course the best security is to keep things securely locked up somewhere out of sight. However, break ins at apartment complexes are quite common especially for apartments which are on the ground floor level.

As for measures you can take: Use a firmware password. (Access the Apple knowledge base to learn how.) Install security and tracking software. Here is one company that sells it - Orbicule.

Also, if you live in an apartment complex, buy renter's insurance with a small or no deductible. Renter's insurance is inexpensive.

Another option is the product known as Prey. It's free for the basic version, which is quite effective.

And of course, for the iPad, you can use Apple's free 'Find my iPhone'.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Prey is new to me! Thanks for the link. I'm definitely going to try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
the renters insurance is well worth it. take pics of your stuff and store them as well. i had a crackhead neighbor that burned down our apartment, luckily we were at work. all our stuff was paid for because of the photos. you cant trust anybody living in the same building.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.