Moving photos and movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
I have purchased a 2tb hard drive with the idea of moving my photos and videos to it so I can free up some hard drive space on my Mac Pro. I have moved my 'Movies' and 'Pictures' folders to the new hard drive. This would include my iPhoto library and my iMovie projects. Before I delete the folders from my main hard drive how do I point iPhoto and iMovie to the files on the new hd?

Tnx!!
Duane

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Again

I've found this article relating to iMovie 08, but I believe the procedure is the same. I'll keep trying.
iMovie

Ian

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much! This is just what I'm looking for.

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've gotten my iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie Events moved to my external hd and now have 438gb more space. Great!
One thing I couldn't find in the iMovie instructions, at least clearly, was how to move the project folder to the external hd. I'm wanting all my work on the ehd so that none of it is on my main drive. Do you have anything on that?

Thanks again! Your information has been very helpful . . .

OP
RezDuane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, what part of Wales are you in? I have a friend there, in Abertillery. Sansome is his last name . . .

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi RezDuane

Firstly, re iMovie Project Folder; I simply dragged it to my EHD. But a note here: the contents of the Projects Folder must match the source data from which the projects were made ie the Events Folder. So just make sure that your Events & Projects Folders are on the same EHD. Then in iMovie, you can link the two if it doesn't do so itself.

I'm afraid I don't know your friend in Wales. I retired to North Wales near Conwy on the coast.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.