Backup strategy for 2TB iMac

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I get my 2TB imac next week and I want to look at the best way of backing it up.

I need to mirror the 2TB boot drive but I would also like to be able to boot off the backup drive if needed.

I have been looking at WD 4TB desktop which is made up of 2 x 2TB drives. Could I use one as a backup drive and the other as a staging area for files?

Any opinions on the best way to backup my data would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom Mcguire

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, I know it is 2TB, not 2 GB but I couldn't see how to edit the title after I saved it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, you could use 2TB for one purpose and 2TB for another if you were to get that WD drive.
I would recommend a Time Machine backup for regular day-to-day backups.
And a separate bootable backup either using SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Clone. Both free and easy to use.
Note: neither of those are for temporarily holding files that you are using such as photos/videos from a project in progress. That would be a 3rd partition. You can partition that external drive as many times as needed using Disk Utility on your iMac. Really easy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I know it is 2TB, not 2 GB but I couldn't see how to edit the title after I saved it.

Edited for you. (Ask a moderator to edit the title.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I use time machine to an external drive for local backups and Carbonite for offsite backups.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Likewise, I use TM as the hourly Back Up - essential to have TM no matter what else you do, in my view.

I use SuperDuper! on to another EHD. In my case, I partition the EHD and my SSD goes onto one and my IHD onto the other.

I also regularly backup crucial material onto a third EHD.

I use Dropbox, not only as a sync between my two Macs, but also as an online storage.

If you use Aperture at all, there is the option of backing your library onto a "Vault" which is just another EHD.

If you care about what is in your Mac, you have to be a bit obsessive about backing up - just my opinion.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.