• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What languages do you know and how do you learn new ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I've always been a "languages" person so I figure I was curious what languages others here know.

So for me obviously English is my native language but I've also studied:

- Latin (8 years)
- German (5 years)
- Greek, Hebrew, and Spanish (1 semester)

Currently learning Swedish since my family is Swedish and to help a bit when I travel over there so I'm not a completely ignorant American expecting everyone to speak English to me. :)

To learn it, I'm trying out Rosetta Stone since Swedish isn't a common language I can find in school.

So what languages do you do and how do you go about learning new ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Early 2011
my native language is Slovak and other languages I know and learn are:

English (almost 15 years)
German (10 years)
Norwegian (half a year I spent in Norway)
Japanese (four semesters at my university as non-obligatory subject)

and then some basics of Italian. Moreover, my girlfriend speaks fluently Spanish so I think I'm gonna learn some basics :) I love to learn new languages so I think I will add some more in the future :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I only speak English fluently.

I studied French in school for three years, and from that I can now say the following phrases (roughly translated):

"Jai mange au burger" = I have eaten a burger
"Quelle la date de ton Anniversaire?" = When is your birthday?
"Oui madam" = Yes miss
"Jaime mon regle" = I love my ruler

As you can see, it wasnt my strong point. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The best way to learn a foreign language is what matoduri is doing - date someone who only speaks that language. Funny how motivated you are and how quickly you learn. It's the more enjoyable 'immersion' method. ;)

I wouldn't claim to have command of any language with the possible exception of English - but I still retain a fair amount of Italian. I lived in Sicily for 2 years - that's where I learned the power of a girlfriend for learning a language. All the guys there - that dated Italian women for any length of time - were easily 10x more fluent than those who didn't.

Took Spanish both in high school as well as college. Can order a beer or two in Turkish. The important stuff. :)

I'd love to become fluent in another language - but could never decide which one to focus on...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Early 2011
it's a shame that my girl is originally from Slovakia...it would be faster to learn from somebody, who doesn't speak my mother tongue at all :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
English is my native language. I also speak:

-Afrikaans (9 years)
-French (5 years)

May parent spoke Afrikaans consistently (I’m originally from South Africa), so I convinced them to teach me. French however, I am learning at school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
God dag Schweb,har sta del till ?

Hehe... Don't try to go any further,with this, my Swedish is very limited, I have a few friends from Sweden and in Sweden, have been able to memorize a few...
I am a french Canadian that fluently speaks english and do babble in some spanish, probably enough to survive in Latin America, Spain...
Comma esta amiga, amigo? Une cercoise por favor and tu esta a la casa ?
:)

To submerge yourself in a language, I find is the best way to do it...That's how I learn and forget...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Only English fluently.

I took 2 yrs of French in middle school (grades 7 - 8) but wasn't very dedicated to it. I remember very, very little.

I know a little Spanish from working with a few guys from Mexico for 2.5 yrs. Enough to say a phew phrases and order food at a restaurant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only speak English fluently.

I studied French in school for three years, and from that I can now say the following phrases (roughly translated):

"Jai mange au burger" = I have eaten a burger
"Quelle la date de ton Anniversaire?" = When is your birthday?
"Oui madam" = Yes miss
"Jaime mon regle" = I love my ruler

As you can see, it wasnt my strong point. ;)

J'ai mangé un hamburgeois.
Quelle est la date de ton anniversaire?
Oui Madame.
J'aime ma règle.

Yes I know, feminin and masculin is very hard for you anglos... ;D:p

(Hummm, why do you love your ruler??)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Some would argue Canadian French isn't real French :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and I would say, "see if I care. Let them think that..."
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Some would argue Canadian French isn't real French :p
The issue is not whether or not it’s real French, but whether it opens up job opportunities for me in the future.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Both my parents speak French fluently and they never taught us. Whenever they would get into arguments the French starts flying...and that's how I picked up French. :p

Studied Japanese in College for one semester but have been reading and listening to Japanese for practically my whole life. Anime and Japanese friends, also playing Japanese games.

Also been dating a Vietnamese girl for almost 7 years so I understand quite a bit of Vietnamese. Very familiar when she starts talking smack about me. >_<"

Of course English, cause parents just sit me infront of the TV as a child for hours. >_>"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well, I took French all the way up to and including grade nine. That said, I know very little. In essence, "je ne parle pas francais." I was hoping that being at a fully bilingual university would help but alas, I know just as much as before I enrolled. I do pick up parts of the language though being in Ottawa - all the signs in the city are in French and English but seeing "chemin" and "rue" over and over again doesn't really expand the vocabulary.

I'd love to learn Dutch but I don't really know where to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
English and German (although my German is admittedly roughly grammar school level tops). A spattering of Spanish (enough to live along the border). I'd love to learn Norwegian, but if Swedish is rare.. Norwegian (at least in the southwest US) is even rarer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Living here in Texas it helps to know Spanish. I studied it extensively in high school and during my years in college. Being fluent in it is another matter, however.

Rosetta Stone is an excellent way to learn a language because it takes you past all the complicated grammar, verb tenses, noun and adjective declinations, etc, and concentrates on the speaking part.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rosetta Stone is an excellent way to learn a language because it takes you past all the complicated grammar, verb tenses, noun and adjective declinations, etc, and concentrates on the speaking part.
That's a much more productive way to learn a language. This is why people leave school having learned no practical French - they keep drilling grammar and conjugation.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That's a much more productive way to learn a language. This is why people leave school having learned no practical French - they keep drilling grammar and conjugation.

I hated conjugating verbs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is why I hated Latin. While I still know it, I don't count it as there's no one to speak it with. Go figure.

Go to the Vatican? I'm pretty sure it would be somewhat useful there. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.