• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What languages do you know and how do you learn new ones?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There are still many people from the deep south in the US that I swear aren't actually speaking English. It's amazing what dialects can do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Same thing here - I swear some people from Newfoundland have their own version of English.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There are still many people from the deep south in the US that I swear aren't actually speaking English. It's amazing what dialects can do.

I used to work for an oilfield service company, Schlumberger, and many years ago was sent to our division HQ in Lafayette LA for a class. Checking into the motel I would have sworn I was in a foreign country and I was born in Tennessee and raised in the South and Midwest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Lol at Dropbears Brent, poor innocent Koala's being made to look bad. They are always so stoned on Eucalyptus that they couldn't motivate anything to attack.

Dialect is certainly a wonderful thing, as so diverse. The UK is great like that, get a broad Geordie, Glaswegian or Welshman to speak to you, and reagrdless of where your from you will struggle to understand.
Sad to say though, that for the most part now, the yoof of today all speak in some pseudo yardie London estate language that bears no resemblance to English at all, and really gets on my nerves. Not helped by certain TV shows "promoting" it as acceptable.
It's not, and my daughter has been warned! The day she utters the words" awright bruv" she's out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 i5 - iPhone 4
I used to live in Malaga, Spain. Went to school there for 3 years and learnt to speak fluent spanish within the 1st year of school.

Due to the school not teaching English my parents decided to move back to England as I was not learning English lol.

Annoyingly I can not speak Spanish anymore and would love to learn it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac has died! Spec? 3 years old running 10.5.5 (was)
I learnt french at school and now speak Khmer - pretty useless unless you live in cambodia but great because nobody expects a expat to speak it here and when you turn around and speak to them when you have heard them say something inappropriate it is amusing! Living in the country is the best way and determination! But what is fluent! to learn. Once you have learnt a second language a third is easier because your ear is tuned to listen..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
tlhIngan maH! naDevvo' peghoS

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Looks like the hex key for page all on a Panasonic phone system what does the binary really mean. I am impressed with all of your language skills still
practicing English after 53 years.

Them are my robot speaking skillz! BEEP BOOP

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Can anyone recommend some cheaper alternatives to Rosetta Stone that are good? Without a doubt, I'd love to have Rosetta Stone, but the price is steep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
German (studied for about 3 years)
I took it in school, I'm not very interested in learning a any new languages at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
What languages?
Java,VB, Obj. C,C#,C++, RPG.

What, oh, human languages....English, french, RPG IV(I swear the non free stuff is another langage from another planet)
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dutch always seemed confusing to me...almost like a really drunk person trying to speak or write German. :)
Agreed - I'm bilingual in English and German and Dutch always confuses me as well. After living here most of my life, my brain is pretty good at switching between English an German on the fly. When I hear Dutch, I always think it's English or German at first and spend far to long trying to figure it out before I realise it's neither.

I also have 4 years of French from school but don't really consider myself to be a language person - I learnt German as a kid, so it doesn't really count.

I do find that you can get the gist of most European languages if you know 2 or 3 of the major languages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.