Hey guys- I really need help with this!

Reaction score
I have some photos that I need to make bigger, but I'm having problems. I have a few ideas, but their not working..

I'm modeling for this agency and I have a few photos that they asked me to make at least 1mb in size. The original size of them is about 135-150kb, so yeah. I'm very unfamiliar with how to do this, but have a few ideas such as increasing the resolution or maybe changing formats to increase the size?
Like I said, I don't know how to do this. I tried, but I'm worried by doing this (which I still don't know how to do) it will ruin the quality of the picture. Obviously it's not in HD now, or high resolution, but can u go from low to better quality/resolution? Or is it only the other way around.

Any help on this would really be appreciated- thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you go for a higher resolution the images may look grainy. It is not possible to go from low to high quality unless you want to do some editing with Photoshop or a similar software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
They want large photos for high quality. Taking small files size photos and enlarging them will end up with very pixalated and largely unrecognisable images. So the short answer is you can't. Have them retaken on a high resolution with a decent SLR.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you go for a higher resolution the images may look grainy. It is not possible to go from low to high quality unless you want to do some editing with Photoshop or a similar software.

If you have photoshop, it's possible? Or it just looks better? If it's gonna look ****** anyways, maybe it's not worth the trouble. I was thinking just changing the format in preview and saving it as a TIF file instead of jpeg. That's increases it a bit.

I guess they sorta are grainy as they are in the small jpg format.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Generally in computing, taking a file, and trying to increase the quality of something if its already been compressed is impossible.

this goes for pictures, movies, music, you name it.

you cant make a 320kbps MP3 and make it sound like a WAV file

you cant enlarge the resolution of a movie after its been recorded without losing quality.

and you cant enlarge pictures without losing some of the original quality.

The general rule is, if you want something right, do it again, dont mess with it "in the box".

so:

re rip the song into WAV format

re-encode/reshoot the video at the preffered resolution

re-take the picture at the right resolution

or suffer the consequences. My lecturer put it beautifully:

You can't polish a turd.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Mythbusters proved you could polish a turd, but robduckyworth is right, you can't increase the size without it looking like crap.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Like everyone here already stated it's not going to be of good quality. Especially when the files have been compressed and edited already.

The only way to get the files to be 1MB in size and are of good/decent quality is if you have the original files. (Preferable RAW) Edit the files and then save them as JPEGs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Like everyone here already stated it's not going to be of good quality. Especially when the files have been compressed and edited already.

The only way to get the files to be 1MB in size and are of good/decent quality is if you have the original files. (Preferable RAW) Edit the files and then save them as JPEGs.
Tiffs would very likely be better for their purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.