Brand new MBP out the box, but...no airport connection???

Reaction score
It refuses to connect to my router! **** frustrating, any help is most appreciated.

I've purchased the latest 15", quad core, 500GB blah blah...

Took it out the box, pressed on, took me through all the mandatory language settings and keyboard settings, asked to connect to a network, popped in the relative password for our home network. Ok, sorted I assumed.

Not to be...

Initially it was coming up with an exclamation mark across airport and the message 'no internet connection' when you click to see what the deal is...

So I clicked no internet connection, it took me through the alternatives of DHCP and the other.. used the other to pop in the account name and WAP code to establish the network. Hasn't worked, although has removed the exclamation mark.

So, still no connection, attempted to turn my airport off on this system (imac), rebooted the router, nothing, nada... MBP still won't connect. So I look up this issue with airport... I tried deleting my home network (that it is actually 'connecting' to with a tick) in keychains, same in the advanced network preferences, re-load the MBP system. Any change? Nope!

So, currently... the airport is coloured in as though it's connected to the network, however is not. In network preferences the 'airport' status is red and 'not connected'. There's nothing wrong with the home connection, I'm currently on it right now...

so what the flip is going on with this brand new macbook pro... not amused!

Appreciate any suggestions, cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
It refuses to connect to my router! **** frustrating, any help is most appreciated.

I've purchased the latest 15", quad core, 500GB blah blah...

Took it out the box, pressed on, took me through all the mandatory language settings and keyboard settings, asked to connect to a network, popped in the relative password for our home network. Ok, sorted I assumed.

Not to be...

Initially it was coming up with an exclamation mark across airport and the message 'no internet connection' when you click to see what the deal is...

So I clicked no internet connection, it took me through the alternatives of DHCP and the other.. used the other to pop in the account name and WAP code to establish the network. Hasn't worked, although has removed the exclamation mark.

So, still no connection, attempted to turn my airport off on this system (imac), rebooted the router, nothing, nada... MBP still won't connect. So I look up this issue with airport... I tried deleting my home network (that it is actually 'connecting' to with a tick) in keychains, same in the advanced network preferences, re-load the MBP system. Any change? Nope!

So, currently... the airport is coloured in as though it's connected to the network, however is not. In network preferences the 'airport' status is red and 'not connected'. There's nothing wrong with the home connection, I'm currently on it right now...

so what the flip is going on with this brand new macbook pro... not amused!

Appreciate any suggestions, cheers!

the other alternate will be to take your mbp to apple store and have them look at it.

or take it to the local wifi spot such as library and connect there see if it works.

OP
jhaime
Reaction score
ye, will try my brothers network tomorrow.. it's picking up other networks just fine, but they're password protected.

The airport and airport settings are diagnosed as working fine, yet even though it registers the home network, ticks onto it, rejects incorrect passwords for it and everything, it won't connect to the isp and therefore internet fails. Yet I'm using the same network right now on my imac, it's bewildering!

Just wondered if anybody knew what the trick was... or if in fact there's some random firewall on the router keeping me out... something terribly strange going on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What type of router do you have? What type of security is turned on? etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Bounce the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MBP i5 2.3GHz 13" 8Gb Ram 120Gb SSD
Same thing happened to me when I tried to set up my new MBP (I'm a first time Mac user). After several hours of frustration, I realized my stupidity. When I set up my wireless network over a year ago, I enabled MAC address filtering. Since my new MBP was not on the filtering "whitelist", it wouldn't let me connect. Once I added it to the "whitelist", connected with no problem.

Doubt that this is your problem, but just in case . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.