ssd

Reaction score
hi
i am thinking of purchase a ssd so i need some information about that. I have a 2008 mbp (processor 2.4 GHz memory 4 Gb 667 MHz ) . I 've seen that the link speed is 1.5Gb. I don't know what ssd to choose and what should be the features of it !
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi people, i have the same question too. i have a mid 2009 macbook pro unibody with 320GB hdd and after using the macbook air, i really appreciate what a SSD could do to my system. so i am interested to get an SSD but dunno where to start, which too look for, are there compatibility issues or specific range of SSD that can be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Head for Sata II instead of Sata III as they are cheaper and your macbook can't support the 6GB/S.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
You will both need a 2.5" Sata SSD drive, the main thing that should really concern you is what capacity you want/ can afford as SSDs are still quite expensive.
For example: Crucial CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5-inch Solid State Drive (128GB,Real SSD,C300,SATA 6GB/S): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps

- Simon
apart from the link speed that ssd has which is bigger than that my mbp supports, is there any possibility to have ssd sata II or III and when i buy a new mac to connect it as external disc? (or sata II or III aren't compatible with that i have now) In what features of ssd should i pay attention?
thanks for the response

Reaction score
Head for Sata II instead of Sata III as they are cheaper and your macbook can't support the 6GB/S.

HTH,

- Simon

Thanks Simon! I will look out for the Sata II. There are many different brands out there and each brands offer many variant like performances and what not. What are those difference?

Reaction score
Price is the primary difference in all categories - size, capacity, and bus speed. 2x in any category = 2x the price. For example, even though my MBP 2011 could benefit from the Sata III interface, I would rather have twice the size, or half the price. Any SSD is so much freakingly faster than any hard drive, I'd say that 99.99% of most people would have the same inclination. The exception - the guy who edits HD video for a living who will buy as many as possible and put them together in a RAID 0 array for all out speed.

Here is a nicely presented summary of these choices, and the company I am planning to buy from (OWC SSD)...
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Serial ATA 2.5" Solid State Drives using High Performance SandForce Processor solution

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.