HELP Software update cleared mac preferences, browser history, browser bookmarks, ...

Reaction score
Dear all,

I just did a regular software update for several programs via 'Software Update...' on my macbook. After the update my macbook was back to the initial settings as they were when I purchased it. Although all my files and downloaded programs (such as chrome, spotify, ...) are still there I lost all my history and bookmarks in my Firefox, Safari and Chrome browser. Does anybody know if there is any way to recover my bookmarks (definitely for chrome!)?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums chtefke
Do you backup your system using Time Machine or similar? If so then restore to before you updated the software and then update software one update at a time.

- Simon

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And you didn't change your home folder name by chance?

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately don't have a backup..

Also didn't change the home folder name. I just clicked 'Software Update...' in the main drop down menu, it generated a list of things for which there was an update and I clicked 'Install'. After the update the computer restarted and I was back to the original settings and lost history, bookmarks, ... Didn't do anything special, just did the update as I always do it..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What updates were there? If you don't remember, go to System Preferences > Software Update > Installed Software and take a look at the updates for the last date.

Your info may still be around - updates shouldn't affect applications and especially those that aren't part of OS X (such as Chrome). Go to Home > Library > Application Support > Google > Chrome > Default. Is there a Bookmarks file there?

OP
C
Reaction score
The updates that were done are
- Security Update 2011-002
- iTunes
- Remote Desktop Client Update
- Safari
- Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9

Had a look in the default folder, but nothing there..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
None of those should have deleted any files that pertain to third party applications. Unfortunately, it looks like your Chrome profile (the contents of the Default folder) has been deleted. Unless they're in the Trash, you might be out of luck unless you have some luck with file recovery software.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, but it doesn't make any sense to me that everything went back to default, including my general language preference, wallpaper, dock, ... after these updates..

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, I found the problem. Just before doing the updates I accidentally put the 'library' folder in the 'documents' folder. I immediately tried reverting it, but because something was in use I couldn't do it at the time. Forgot about it afterwards and did the update. What is the best thing to do now without messing something up?

(Found the bookmarks I really needed btw!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.