• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Modern Warfare controversy, all over again.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Modern Warfare 3 to be Banned in the UK? | Call of Duty Community

The general jist of the new game is that it will be World War 3.

Part of the story will be set in Britain, as you would expect, this being global and all.

Now people are petitioning for it to be banned because of a scene where an Underground train explodes, as this is apparently offensive to those that lost lives in the 7/7 bombings.

The scene is not connected in any way to the events of 7/7.

It is an cinematic action shooter, explosions are always going to play a huge part in any game of this genre.

What do you guys think about this?

Of course, i have the utmost respect for the lives lost in 7/7 and they all receive my condolences. The topic of this thread is not in anyway associated to disrespecting the families of those lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 8GB Ram AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
I believe a game shouldn't be banned for things that resemble real life events. There have been plenty of games that have mass executions, nuclear war, killings of mothers and children and never once heard an outcry for a ban.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There are limitless ways a game developer can script out a game play, yet they chose something that might be very offensive to someone. I believe they have every right to ban it. However, I am glad we might not get to listen to some UK-US bash talk on xbox live with this game. I didn't care at first, but it seemed the second someone with a british accent came on, they would start talking crap, and never stop.

The other side of me just wants to say: It's just a game! Isn't there something more worthy of getting banned?

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I believe they have every right to ban it.

So in that sense we should ban all the games based on World War II for the same reasons?

it seemed the second someone with a british accent came on, they would start talking crap, and never stop.

you do know im British lol? i dont fully understand what you said ;)

shutterbrandon, exactly my point.

Reaction score
There are limitless ways a game developer can script out a game play, yet they chose something that might be very offensive to someone.

It's nearly impossible to come up with scenarios that won't offend some people. People will find things to be upset about no matter what. Wasn't there a US senator a few years back that got offended about Sponge Bob because he "looked gay" or some other ridiculous reason?

I believe they have every right to ban it. However, I am glad we might not get to listen to some UK-US bash talk on xbox live with this game. I didn't care at first, but it seemed the second someone with a british accent came on, they would start talking crap, and never stop.

The experience of each user is different. While that may have been yours, in my experience whenever someone with a british accent came on, he would get flamed by americans for the simple fact of being british. It's a good thing I know better otherwise I would have a very low opinion of Americans based on that.

I don't much care either way, as I'm neither american nor british. It was just very irritating, until I found out how to mute people. Now, I just mute everyone :p

The other side of me just wants to say: It's just a game! Isn't there something more worthy of getting banned?

Amen to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you don't like it, don't buy it. We don't need to petition the government to ban stuff to protect our poor little thin-skinned sensibilities. Getting the Nanny State to ban scary things is a pretty pathetic way of standing up for yourself.

That said, I believe it's in particularly poor taste. It might be redeeming though, if those who bought this artistic masterpiece also decided to volunteer to pick up, sort, and wash the brunt body chunks when this happens again. Live the dream. Be the ball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's nearly impossible to come up with scenarios that won't offend some people. People will find things to be upset about no matter what. Wasn't there a US senator a few years back that got offended about Sponge Bob because he "looked gay" or some other ridiculous reason?

The experience of each user is different. While that may have been yours, in my experience whenever someone with a british accent came on, he would get flamed by americans for the simple fact of being british. It's a good thing I know better otherwise I would have a very low opinion of Americans based on that.

I don't much care either way, as I'm neither american nor british. It was just very irritating, until I found out how to mute people. Now, I just mute everyone :p

Amen to that.

Unfortunately, for xbox live, as long as it allows the world to play together in one game, you will here some type of racism, stereotyping, etc sooner or later. Trash talking on xbl is a 2-way street, not just one person does it. I just got tired of it. The only times I go on anymore are when I know friends are on. Muting people does the trick...only to a point. I would rather listen in and not talk, than let someone talk indefinitely without me knowing what is being said, no matter who they are saying it to.

As for the game, it looks sweet!! The UK could be missing out on a good *looking* game.

Reaction score
Muting people does the trick...only to a point. I would rather listen in and not talk, than let someone talk indefinitely without me knowing what is being said, no matter who they are saying it to.

As for the game, it looks sweet!! The UK could be missing out on a good *looking* game.

I only play team deathmatch, so there's no situation I can think of that I'd rather be listening in. I prefer sweet sweet silence (well, I mean I prefer no vocal interruptions over my online violence O:))

The game does look promising, I for one am looking forward to it and I do hope it doesn't get banned anywhere

Reaction score
This will never happen they may have a block on being able to play a certain level like the last one with the airport killing level but thats about it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Those who want it will get it anyway, ban or no ban.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you don't like it, don't buy it. We don't need to petition the government to ban stuff to protect our poor little thin-skinned sensibilities. Getting the Nanny State to ban scary things is a pretty pathetic way of standing up for yourself.

That said, I believe it's in particularly poor taste. It might be redeeming though, if those who bought this artistic masterpiece also decided to volunteer to pick up, sort, and wash the brunt body chunks when this happens again. Live the dream. Be the ball.

I agree with every word you said. If human beings were given the power to ban things based upon what they find offensive, we'd pretty much have zero activities or hobbies! Heck, we'd have no religion, no fat people, no skinny people, no music, no liberties at all! In fact, women wouldn't be able to vote, races wouldn't be able to mingle freely etc etc..

What's ironic and sad is that this is the same type of mentality which enforces fear and prejudice against homosexuals and lesbians, and what makes it so hard for said groups to get proper health insurance, health care and basic rights in general!

If you don't like it, then don't watch it, listen to it, look at it or respond to it! If it's not affecting you directly, who the h.e. double hockey sticks are YOU to ban what I like and want to have be part of my day or life?!

If a game came out tomorrow which depicted the exact events of 9/11 I'd maybe find it in bad taste, but my day would certainly not be any different because of it. I hate the morality police, AKA soccer moms with nothing to do but dictate what everybody else should do because it suits their lifestyle.

Yuck to censorship and soccer moms! BAN THEM!

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think we should all support and defend basic human rights, freedom from fear and oppression, access to common resources, self determination, and equitable treatment under the law.
But no where do I see a basic right to not be offended. We spend way too much time and effort catering to whiner babies. I may not like the way you look, talk or act. Just as long as you are not directly hurting me or interfering with my rights my only recourse should be to choose not to associate with you. Why should you have to change to accommodate me?

Strange world! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.