Pioneer announces iOS-integrated AppRadio receiver[TÚAW]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Pioneer announces iOS-integrated AppRadio receiver

AppRadio features a 800 x 400 6.1-inch multitouch capacitive display that allows the user to easily navigate and interact with not only the media on your iOS device, but your apps as well.

The receiver features built-in Bluetooth and GPS, an AM/FM radio, and a video input that can be used with an optional rear view camera. The receiver can also take advantage of iOS's Google Maps app. Pioneer is opening its AppRadio to developers, allowing them to design their apps to work in conjunction with the receiver. No apps will be stored on the receiver -- everything is done through apps on your iPhone or iPod touch -- but developers will be able to build in AppRadio support directly to their apps.

That is freaking AWESOME! Although I do say I'd rather have real knobs for the volume controls. Those buttons down in the corner…. hate 'em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I saw the hands-on video on Engadget.com and it is a pretty cool thing, but it does lack in the apps department. I'm assuming this is something they will eventually improve/expand, but for now it is just alright.
Although, I hope they have the sense to limit app integration NOT to include things like Angry Birds because I can certainly see plenty of idiots trying to play that while driving. People are just that stupid!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw the hands-on video on Engadget.com and it is a pretty cool thing, but it does lack in the apps department. I'm assuming this is something they will eventually improve/expand, but for now it is just alright.
Although, I hope they have the sense to limit app integration NOT to include things like Angry Birds because I can certainly see plenty of idiots trying to play that while driving. People are just that stupid!

Well they are working with developers to bake compatibility with their unit, so more will come in time. MotionX GPS was one that was cited. And they do plan to limit the app integration for safety concerns. Either Angry Birds and other games will only play when at a stop (though what's the point then?), or they simply will not be supported.

Reaction score
Makes me want one in my truck now...beats plugging in the device...sort of. I suppose physically plugging the device into the radio (like every other iPod/iPod touch/iPhone-compatible car radio) is out of the question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Eh, don't really see whats so big about this over a normal gps nav that works with the iPhone. Especially since this is most likely going to be ridiculously overpriced.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eh, don't really see whats so big about this over a normal gps nav that works with the iPhone. Especially since this is most likely going to be ridiculously overpriced.

You lack imagination, my man. Firstly, it wouldn't just be GPS. There's Pandora and a couple others lined up, though I'd like to see Slacker Radio at some point. Secondly, it'd be on a bigger screen (though I wonder what the resolution is). Thirdly, well I for one hate, without exception, every single phone mount that exists. They all universally suck in various ways. I'd much rather have an in-dash iPhone, except the iPhone's screen is a bit small. This is a great compromise. Bottom line is that this hopefully will be a safer front-end for using iPhone apps on-the-go than having to fiddle with the iPhone itself while driving, not to mention not having the iPhone and a dash/windshield mount obstructing your view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I don't see the point to Pandora. I have a large iTunes library connected to my car stereo. It plays only music I like. Pandora still can't figure out that Nickelback needs to die in a fiery hole.

As for phone mounts. People use those? My iPhone has voice control so no need for a screen.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see the point to Pandora. I have a large iTunes library connected to my car stereo. It plays only music I like. Pandora still can't figure out that Nickelback needs to die in a fiery hole.

As for phone mounts. People use those? My iPhone has voice control so no need for a screen.

Wow. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for pissing in my Wheaties. I feel so enlightened now.

P.S.: please share more tips on how you use your devices so I can work on being exactly like you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.