Found iPod touch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, OS X 10.8.4)
A friend of a colleague of mine (sounds convoluted, but it's accurate) found an iPod touch a little while ago and, after attempts to locate the owner (signs posted around the downtown area where it was found, etc) failed, has decided to lend it to me to try to get it to work. I believe it's a first-generation iPod touch.

Here's a picture of the back (looks like it's been through some rough times.)

And here's what I'm greeted with when I switch it on.

I tried connecting it to my Mac, but iTunes gives me this message (note that I'm unable to access any function within the iPod wherein I can enter a passcode.)

Does anyone know how to work around this thing being essentially unusable and possibly get it working from scratch?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, OS X 10.8.4)
That worked perfectly - thank you!

EDIT: Crap; I got it to the point of clicking "restore" through iTunes, but after downloading the latest software update that will work on this iPod, it's right back to the original problem - telling me it's passcode locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache 1066MHz frontside bus 2GB (two 1G
In a situation like this. Can an apple store figure out who the true owner is if you take it there? Then return the product to the true owner?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.