hard drive recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
A friend of mine has a Macbook (white) and it crashed. She does not have a current backup available. I can't remember the name of the company that can recover data from her hard drive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for her?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Professional data recovery is expensive, very expensive. Have you tried to recover her data using software? Data Rescue 3 is one of the best data recovery packages available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, you're looking at least a grand to have someone crack open a drive in a clean room. In general, for home users, it's simply not cost effective. However, most data is recoverable via software. That is worth a shot.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
it sounds like a piece of the hard drive or parts around the HD scratched it all up.

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Macbook (white) and it crashed. She does not have a current backup available. I can't remember the name of the company that can recover data from her hard drive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for her?

There are a lot of hard drive recovery services. All of them are expensive...but your friend's data may be worth it.

I also understand that the overwhelming majority of these places are what we call in the industry "box movers." They don't actually recover your data on-site; instead they send your drive to Seagate Recovery Services. But they do their best to make you think that they do their own recoveries.

I used to recommend Drive Savers (perhaps the oldest and best-known Mac hard drive recovery service), but their prices got outrageous, and they have become hard to get along with. They are only willing to recover the file types that you specifically agree to have recovered, and they refuse to recover any applications whatsoever.

I now recommend:

Drive Rescue, Inc.
Drew Janssen, owner
Drive Rescue - Professional Data Recovery

Drive Rescue is not only a nice outfit to deal with, but their prices are very reasonable compared to the competition. (Not inexpensive, but usually a fraction of what someplace like Drive Savers would charge, for inferior service.)
Drive Rescue specializes in Macintoshes, and they use actual Macs to do the recovery.

Feel free to use my name if you contact them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.