An idea...stop me if I'm wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
I hope I'm not totally clueless on this, but while I am thinking about getting an IPII, one thing that would really be cool is if you could plug a flash drive into it.

Which you can't since it doesnt have a USB port yet.

But...

It is USB capable. The pad has a port on the bottom where the wire harness has a male USB end to plug into your computer for set up,file transfer, syncing, charging, etc.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but unless its already out there, why doesn't Belkin or someone develop a USB female to female adapter, or make a Flash drive with a female end on it? Plug the male pigtail from the Pad into the female to female adapter, and plug a flash drive into the other side.

That way you could swap files, upload new stuff, move things off the Pad, etc...or even hook up USB cellular wand like I use at home for a net connection if you only have a wifi model?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Of course, anything is possible - but I'd be willing to bet that the needed drivers don't exist in iOS to support devices like that. Just because you can get a good electrical connection, doesn't mean the software is there to support it. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
Bingo...found it...5 dollar solution.

Now, does it work?

Re, the prior post, yes, I get that.

On the other hand, you get this adapter, and plug one side into the male usb port.

Ordinarily, you'd be sticking it in your computer.

So, a USB drive...whats the difference? If you were plugging into a computer, it would be looking to get files from your drive, soooo.....?

StarTech.com USB A Gender Changer - USB gender changer - GCUSBAAFF - Gender Changers - CDW.com

If anyone wants to try this out and see what happens...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ordinarily, you'd be sticking it in your computer.

So, a USB drive...whats the difference? If you were plugging into a computer, it would be looking to get files from your drive, soooo.....?

Because you're not sticking it in a computer, you're sticking it in a glorified iPod touch that doesn't know how to mount a flash drive connected via a USB bus, which - believe it or not - requires drivers and the ability to mount a (non-native) filesystem.

Best case scenario, you'll plug it in and it won't work. Worst case scenario, you'll blow out the 30-pin connector and void your warranty.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, i could be wrong, but unless the connection causes a direct short, or supplied electrical current applied to the wrong place, I'm not sure it would damage anything.

With out any configuration or programming whatsoever, I use a flash drive in my MBP and it sees files instantly.

The IPad plugs into a USB port and could have files transferred...so I'm having a bit of a stretch seeing the danger.

I'm not into voiding warranties though, I find the concept compelling enough it might be worth running an email past Apple and seeing what they say.

Or if its an idea they could adapt whatever drivers or software if your speculation is correct, I know I'm not the first person to scratch my head over why the Pad doesnt have a USB slot. That capacity could be endlessly useful.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that is interesting but it doesnt really relate.

The concept was basically, you're out in the field, say, without your MBP with you, and you just need to get some other files, and were lugging around with you, say during the workday, nothing more than

The Ipad,
A thumb drive
the 30pin connector cord with USB end. The latter two of which you could just shove in your pocket.

By just having a gender changer, and without hitting the system programming or jailbreaking, hooking up to a flash drive.

There may be some conceptual similarity, but the idea was to be a quick simple, uncomplicated hookup.

The idea that the Ipad can be plugged into a USB port for the same purpose to get files off your desktop via the same port means this should not be that much of a stretch, and if it remains undoable for reasons already cited, it sounds like something Apple could easily do at which point they can say, hey look what else this thing can do, you asked for it and we made it happen!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WHOA!!!!
Check THIS out!

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Talk about an end run around a problem.

This beats a flash drive all to ****.

I'm guessing its about as big as my Seagate goflex 500 gig external.

Screw the USB connection...this drive can do that, but for 200 bucks you could fit 500gigs wirelessly streamed thru the existing WIFI utility.

Drawbacks appear to be 5 hours of battery life, though that could be mitigated by say, transferring a movie over as a file then watching it, rather than streaming it thru out the movie run,

You can't remain connected to wifi to keep your email up at the same time. Again, the above solution might work.

A seagate goflex can just about fit in a shirt pocket.

Seagate appears to be apples new best friend. Good deal!

IPod Touch

It works for them too!

GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
There is also the hyperdrive solution, mainly for photos and video but the drive itself can hold anything.
HyperDrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 2010 13 inch
Ive had nothing but good luck with the other go flex products, gonna be getting one asap

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.