Producing Hip Hop on MacBook

Reaction score
Hey I am brand new to mac, and i have been trying to make some hip hop beats. Right now i am just using garageband and the preset instruments on there, and it isnt really what im looking for. i want to be able to use sounds that sound more like hip hop. im not looking for loops to just put into my tracks, i actually want like a virtual/software instrument i can use. are there any free hip hop virtual instruments i can use?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I would look into Logic Express/Pro. It includes 13 (I believe) synths/samplers that are much more versatile than the garageband ones.

in particular Ultrabeat is a great Drum sequencer/sampler. you can get some really great hip hop sounds out of the default patches,and you can even branch out into incorporating your own samples if you feel experimental enough.

for free plug ins, check out the KVR plug in data base:

KVR: Audio Plug-in Database (Search) - VST, Audio Units, RTAS, DirectX, LADSPA, DSSI

garageband uses AU instruments. you install them into macintosh HD - Library - Audio - Plug ins - Components (if there is no installer.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Ahh thanks. I know logic is like 500 bucks, which is out of my budget, im broke sense I bought the laptop itself but is ultrabeat free?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope, only comes as part of logic. hip hop producers usually use their own samples anyway, you don't need a drum sequencer to do it.
I just think it would be easier if you are learning.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said "use".

Essentially, they use little audio snapshots of the individual elements of each part of the drum (kick, snare and so on) and arrange it into a drum loop.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean by that but I meant link certain synthesizer noises maybe, not just drums

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are needing a sampler.

Ultrabeat can do that, yes. its effectively a Sampler/Sequencer.

theres also EXS24, which is a brilliant sampler.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope. only come with logic.

C

chas_m

Take a look at Kore 2 Player (free) from Native Instruments. They also sell various sample packages that give you a LOT of fine control. Check out the videos, I think this will be a bit more affordable for you and give you what you are after.

Like this for instance: NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

PS. Not that I'm the worldly voice of experience, but I've done my time in recording studios and working with producers, etc. You should know that seriously getting into the kind of stuff you are talking about will NOT be cheap. I'm just sayin'.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kore Player is good, but you cant use your own sounds with it. Also, its mega CPU hungry, so unless you have an i5/i7 quad dont expect too many instances of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, is there anywhere you know of i can buy Logic for cheaper than $500?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can buy Logic Express. It has all the features you need. Its about $300 cheaper.

Amazon.

Studio adds stuff like a few more instruments and surround support (stuff you dont need to record hip hop, basically.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright, Hip hop isn't the only type of music id like to make on my mac, how much is missing from express?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5.1 support and a couple of instruments. and some advanced features you dont really need. (Logic Nodes, etc). and about 20 bazillion gigbytes of Apple Loops.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Surround sound. you don't need it for hip hop. seeing as you don't even know what it is, I doubt you need it.

if you dont know what surround sound is:

Let me google that for you

(You can find a lot of information by using search engines.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.