powerpoint files

Reaction score
When I was a pc i kept all my data on a portable hard drive. So now I plug that hard drive into my new imac and open a powerpoint file into office for mac powerpoint. I can open the file and change the slides I just can't save the file when I'm finished working on it. I don't suppose that this is enough information for someone to help me, but I am frustrated. The file does say read only. That is most likley the problem. How can I change the file into read and write? or what can I do to make it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Can you copy or drag the relevant file to your Mac and then open and when finished save 'Save As'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Was that drive formatted NTFS?

C

chas_m

Dear santa: the problem is that the drive is formatted NTFS, which is a Windows format that the Mac can READ, but not WRITE TO. So you can open files all day, you just can't save any changes.

Solutions include getting a third-party NTFS driver that will allow you to write to NTFS drives; OR you could reformat the drive for Mac; OR you could copy the file from the NTFS drive to the Mac drive, whereupon you can save the file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I did try the copy from the NTFS drive to the mac drive.
It worked. I think the big problem for us switchers is that we expect things to be difficult.
This was a little clumsy but straight forward. Thanks again

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, another thought. I have many word and powerpoint files on that hard drive so maybe reformatting is the answer for the long term. Can I reformat without erasing all the files? It seems like I remember in windows when you reformatted a hd you wiped it clean.

C

chas_m

Reformatting will, as the name implies, erase the hard drive and delete all the files.

Why not just move the files in question to your Mac hard drive, then reformat, then move them back?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Is there a way to copy all of one kind of file at a time over to the mac hd from the portable hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
i don't know if this is what you want but you can go to finder and do a search on your Macintosh HD for the files you want and transfer them to your external hard disk.

C

chas_m

Thanks for your responses. Is there a way to copy all of one kind of file at a time over to the mac hd from the portable hd?

Yes. There are several ways to do this.

The easiest is probably just to open a Finder window for the drive in List view, and click on the "Kind" heading, which lists the files by type (alphabetically).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.