bless tool?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an older Mac Pro (Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz) running 10.6.6
with a 250 Gb hard drive. I recently needed to switch out an internal drive from my Drobo. So I added this 1Tb drive to my Mac Pro, used the disk utility to erase it and then restore all the data from my 250 to it. So far so good. But when I tried to select the 1Tb as my startup disk in system preferences, I get this message:

"You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

The guys at the genius bar had a few ideas, none of which worked. Any ideas anybody?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you format & install an OS on the 1 terabyte drive?

If you did format it...did you use Apple's "Disk Utility" to do the formatting...and if so, what format method/scheme did you use?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi,

I used the disk utility. First I erased the disk, then I used the "restore" command and used the 250 as the source and the 1Tb as the destination. I do forget what prompts I was given, one was "initialize" and I clicked ok.

The 1Tb now has a 3 or 4 more Gb on it that the 250 Gb drive.

I just did notice in the disk utility program that it has "no" in the "owners enabled" part in the bottom left.

?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I used the disk utility. First I erased the disk, then I used the "restore" command and used the 250 as the source and the 1Tb as the destination. I do forget what prompts I was given, one was "initialize" and I clicked ok.

The 1Tb now has a 3 or 4 more Gb on it that the 250 Gb drive.

I just did notice in the disk utility program that it has "no" in the "owners enabled" part in the bottom left.

?

I asked 3 questions...you only answered 1. Need more info in order to help...and understand what was & wasn't done so far.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I did not per se install the OS onto the disk.
I merely used the restore command in disk utility.
I kept clicking the prompts I got to intialize it, but I can not remember what they were
Basically the prompts were not what the geniuses told me so I was a bit confused during the process.
Would it be easier for me to start this process all over again?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I merely used the restore command in disk utility.

Would it be easier for me to start this process all over again?

I'm not sure you can use the "restore" command on a brand new hard drive...if you're not restoring from a "Time Machine" backup...or other HD backup made from another application.

In other words...if your previous 250gig HD was not a "Time Machine backup" I don't think you can restore from a "regular" boot HD.

Can you explain further what you're trying to do with these two HD's (the 250gig & 1000gig)?

- Do you want to have two HD's in your Mac Pro?
- Do you want to make the 1000gig drive your boot drive & use the 250 gig in a different computer?
- If keeping both drives in the Mac Pro...Why not keep the 250gig as your boot drive?

Just trying to understand what your goal(s) are.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
My original 250 Gb is getting a bit full (220 or so used)
I have a Drobo Raid and I needed to swap out a 1Tb for a 2Tb (I'm a pro photographer/videographer) to get some more room there so I thought I'd take the 1Tb from the Drobo and use it as a startup disk in my Mac. That way I'd only have a quarter of it filled up. I figured my system would run faster that way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My original 250 Gb is getting a bit full (220 or so used)
I have a Drobo Raid and I needed to swap out a 1Tb for a 2Tb (I'm a pro photographer/videographer) to get some more room there so I thought I'd take the 1Tb from the Drobo and use it as a startup disk in my Mac. That way I'd only have a quarter of it filled up. I figured my system would run faster that way.

Ok...understandable. Referring to my earlier post. I don't think you can do a "restore" from a HD (your 250gig) that wasn't a backup to start with.

I think that what you have to do with your 1000gig drive is:

1. Boot your Mac Pro from your OS install disk
2. Format the 1000 gig drive with Disk Utility (Mac OS extended - Journaled)
3. Install the OS
4. Reboot the computer from the newly formatted & OS installed 1000gig HD
5. Install the programs/applications you use onto the 1000gig drive (you may still be able to run many of them from the 250 gig drive depending on each applications serial number/registration)
6 If you're only going to keep the 1000 gig drive in the Mac Pro...then you would have to copy over (manually) all the files you need.

Another option is trying to use "Migration Assistant" (after step #4)...this would help with "migrating" apps. & files. I haven't used it very much...so I'm not sure how well it works.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Ok...understandable. Referring to my earlier post. I don't think you can do a "restore" from a HD (your 250gig) that wasn't a backup to start with.

I think that what you have to do with your 1000gig drive is:

1. Boot your Mac Pro from your OS install disk
2. Format the 1000 gig drive with Disk Utility (Mac OS extended - Journaled)
3. Install the OS
4. Reboot the computer from the newly formatted & OS installed 1000gig HD
5. Install the programs/applications you use onto the 1000gig drive (you may still be able to run many of them from the 250 gig drive depending on each applications serial number/registration)
6 If you're only going to keep the 1000 gig drive in the Mac Pro...then you would have to copy over (manually) all the files you need.

Another option is trying to use "Migration Assistant" (after step #4)...this would help with "migrating" apps. & files. I haven't used it very much...so I'm not sure how well it works.

HTH,

- Nick

You can definitely restore a HDD from your OS drive to use as your new OS drive. It might have just been an error with the copy. You could try using a different clone tool like carbon copy cloner or Super Duper.

Also does the computer boot from the disk is you hold down option on boot and select it?

Reaction score
Guess I know the answer

To completely clone the disk with Disk Utility, you may want to load from
distribution DVD, and use *that* Disk utility, instead of new install.
It should help. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.