Steam PC to App Store Mac games

Reaction score
I bought a few games on steam for PC and I would love to play them on a Mac because running Windows on my mac and playing it just doesn't cut out. The two major games that I would love to play on my Mac are Borderlands and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I bought these games off of Steam as PC games and they don't have a Mac version, but not too long ago I just saw those exact games on the App Store.

So my question is: Is there a way to convert my already bought PC version steam games into the Mac version without buying it all over again from the App Store?

Reaction score
Um I maybe wrong but I thought u could install steam to your Mac and whatever games u have purchased u can download and play via steam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Um I maybe wrong but I thought u could install steam to your Mac and whatever games u have purchased u can download and play via steam

That's if Steam "stocks" the Mac compatible version (it's actually up to the publisher). In this case, I would say they do not.

OP
D
Reaction score
That's if Steam "stocks" the Mac compatible version (it's actually up to the publisher). In this case, I would say they do not.

Well, wouldn't I be able to at least download the game from the App Store and use the CD key I got from Steam? I'm just trying to get the game onto my Mac, but yeah I guess I might just have to wait and see what happens with Steam. Hope that they do come out with the Mac version of those games because they're just laying around in my Steam Library.

Reaction score
I must be confused. The op said that the games were in the app store so wouldn't that mean they already have a Mac compatible version? I'm guessing maybe what u r saying is just because they have the games for mac that doesn't mean there in steam?

OP
D
Reaction score
I must be confused. The op said that the games were in the app store so wouldn't that mean they already have a Mac compatible version? I'm guessing maybe what u r saying is just because they have the games for mac that doesn't mean there in steam?

I bought the games from Steam a while back ago for PC. I did not notice they had Mac versions on the App Store, but Steam still doesn't have the Mac compatible versions. I've been playing the games on Windows via Parallels. I don't know how I would just download the Mac versions without purchasing them.

C

chas_m

1. When you buy a game from Steam, you can play it on either platform if its available for both platforms. Your PC Steam license key will work fine and includes the right to play it on the Mac.

2. Borderlands is in fact available for the Mac, as is Knights of the Old Republic. I do not know if they are available on Steam, but they are definitely available as buyable games.

3. Playing PC games on the Mac (when there is no available Mac version) is best done by using a Boot Camp partition and booting into it when you want to play games. That way, the system is uncompromised by having to run anything other than what it takes to play the game itself. If you're trying to play PC games on the Mac using a virtualiser (ie Parallels, VMWare, Virtualbox etc), you're getting a sub-optimal experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.