How to make 2nd HHD, Mac Pro, into bootable disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2010, OSX 10.6.7, 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
I recently got a Mac Pro(late 2010) and have also bought a SSD for the 2nd hard drive. I got a small(40Gb) SSD to put my Adobe suite on. A friend suggested that I put OSX on the drive so that it would run faster. I'm assuming I need to install OSX on the SSD and then make it the startup disk via the system preferences. Also, would it then be best to uninstall OSX from the 1st Drive?

I have read about using Carbon Copy Cloner, although I'm not trying to copy my drive, just make the new one bootable and capable of containing my adobe suite. So I'm a bit unsure on how to proceed. Would anyone out there like to help me out a bit?

note: I'm sorry if this is posted already...I really tried to find it and couldn't. I'm also not clear if this is an operating system question or hardware question, so I apologize if I've caused confusion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use your Snow Leopard install recovery DVD to install OS X on the SSD. That will render the SSD bootable. You can then place whatever programs you wish on the SSD and select it as your boot drive. There is no need to remove OS X from your other drive. As a matter of fact, it's a good thing to have more than one boot drive for backup purposes.

OP
Serilda
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2010, OSX 10.6.7, 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Thank you so much! It's good to know that it's helpful to have both drives installed with OSX. So this wasn't NEARLY as hairy as I thought it would be. Everything turned out lovely. I'm greatly enjoying my new drive.

One thing that didn't realize though, sorry if I sound thoughtless, was that since my 2nd drive is now my start up disk, I needed to re-create all my user preferences because I had to create a new user for the new disk. That seems a little unnecessary. Can't say I feel all the comfortable cluttering up my new drive with user preferences, drivers, and internet bookmarks, cookies, and the like. So I suppose I'm a bit on the fence about keeping this drive as the boot disk. But I figured it's a good thing to know before proceeding if anyone else stumbles on this thread with a similar situation.

But more importantly, THANK YOU! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.