Intel Processors and Mac Games

T

The Observer

Hiya. I don't actually own a Mac, but I have had the chance to use one for a bit and it's awesome! I've been thinking of ditching Windows completely, since the apps and games I run are also available on Mac, but then I saw the article about Apple switching from PowerPC to Intel processors in 2006, I think it was. I've been thinking about struggling with Windows just a bit more and wait until Apple releases its first Intel processor-based computer, since I hear nothing but good things about those (Intel processors, that is) but then, would any of the apps or games that are out there right now, work? After all, switching the processor type is no small stride. I've seen people having grief after switching to 64-bit processors, for example.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
OK, basically this is how it works:

The current macs (Power PC) have programs written for them encoded to run on the IBM PowerPC processor (G3, G4, and G5 chips.) The current software will not run on Intel processors. Developers are working right now to find quick ways of porting software over.

WHEN INTEL MACS ARE RELEASED, most of the macintosh software released on or after that date will be "fat binary" software, which means it can run on either PowerPC or Intel based macs. Several years hence, when the vast majority of operating macs out there are intel based, the software will then be Intel only.

My recommendation is to go ahead and get a mac now, if you really want one. There will be software available for your prospective computer for as long as it would normally be viable and run current apps (especially games), so there is no real advantage in waiting. In fact, there may actually be fewer games available for the intel macs when they are first released, so it might be worth your while to get a PowerPC now, and stick with it until the Mactels have been out for a while.

Just my $0.02 :)

Reaction score
yeah, I agree with sevenhelmet. But I guess it depends on a couple things,

1) how long you can wait, as the Intel-based macs won't begin to be rolled out until a year's time or more.

2) How long you plan to keep the computer. If you are the sort of person who upgrades a computer after a maximum of 2 years or less, then there is no disadvantage of converting now. But if you want to get a top of the line mac that you wish to keep for 5+ years, then maybe you should wait.

As for the itel chips themselves. There are a lot of people who are pissed about the news, but it's more a matter of principle than any genuine, valid reason (just look at the first reponse to the original announcement on Macrumors.com). After all, what makes a Mac great is the operating system, not the processor. So long as the Intel chip does what it's supposed to do, there is simply no difference to the Mac experience, in my opinion.

As for games. Make sure you are aware of what is and is not available on macs. If video games are the main reason why you own a computer, it may not be a very good idea to switch. Macs get things very late (sometimes even a year or more after their PC release). Most games don't come to mac at all...i'm still waiting for counter-strike :(

Of course, if you use computers primarily for apps, especially design apps, then I would definately recommend Macintosh. Sounds like you already know the benefits anyway so I won't ramble.

Now that's 4 cents in total.

OP
T

The Observer

Thanks for the info! I've already started saving money for an iMac. As for the apps and games, I've already checked several sites to see what's available and what's not. Most apps I use are available on Macs and those who aren't, I found an alternative. Also, some I own already have a Mac installation on the CD, so I'm covered :)
Again, thanks for your help!

Reaction score
np. yeah, any software that's worth owning is on the Mac. I find generally with mac you have less choice, but it's all excellent quality. whereas with Windows there are a bazillion apps for every purpose, but most of them blow.

you'll love the iMac, that's what I have. It's more powerful than it looks; I often design A3-sized stuff Photoshop at 300-600dpi with no problems at all. It even handles Doom 3 with anti-aliasing on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Simply put, Mac OS X rocks and Windows is the devil's OS.

OP
B

BEEEsH

"In fact, there may actually be fewer games available for the intel macs when they are first released, so it might be worth your while to get a PowerPC now, and stick with it until the Mactels have been out for a while."

You might want to consider the fact that you'll be able to dual boot with the mac-intel systems. All of those mac games are available for the PC, and when your finally able to dual boot a OSX or XP setup, there really won't be mac games.

You can play all the games you want on your XP partition, and do all of your work on the OSX partition.

I would wait until the Intel models come out. Buy a cheaper mac(mini) if you want to play around and do work. Wait until the mac-intel's are proven systems, before dropping alot on one.

OP
T

The Observer

BEEEsH said:
"You might want to consider the fact that you'll be able to dual boot with the mac-intel systems. All of those mac games are available for the PC, and when your finally able to dual boot a OSX or XP setup, there really won't be mac games.

You can play all the games you want on your XP partition, and do all of your work on the OSX partition.

That's just the thing. I don't want to be NEAR Windows. Seriously, I'm fed up with that OS. The support is abysmal and I'm not happy with the fact that my OS come bundled with inferior software like Windows Media Player 7, Internet Explorer, Windows Messenger, etc. Most of those, I can't even remove! It has come to a point where I've been thinking of wiping my drive clean and installing Linux, but that OS is too complicated for me.

Reaction score
I think WinXP does a pretty good job considering all the millions of third party hardware that can be attached to it. Apple and other Mac-centered companies, have the advantage of knowing exactly what sort of processor, motherboard, graphics card etc. you have on your system. Windows has no such luxury, so you have to be a little understanding.

Where I think Windows falls down completely is in its interface organisation. There are too many long, illogical steps to do simple tasks, and I get sick and tired of it screaming at me 24/7...

"Your computer is at risk"
"hardware detected"
"your hardware is installed and ready to use"
"Network device unplugged"
"Automatic update is turned off"
"something else you didn't need to know"

SHUT UP! I just wanna do my work.

The other major downfall is in its aesthetic look. When you're creating something delicate and beautiful in Photoshop, a big bright green and blue bar running down the bottom and around windows is really distracting.

Those are my major pet peeves. Sorry to rant like that.

What I actually wanted to say was this:

and when your finally able to dual boot a OSX or XP setup, there really won't be mac games.

I would have thought that with the Intel chip it would be easier for companies to port games to the mac, and therefore there would be more games available? I really have no idea how it all works, so perhaps I'm way off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would wait until the Intel models come out.

I donno, it will be at least 2 years before it gets to a point where dual booting is stable. That's a long time to wait. I think buy a mac now to last you around 2-3 years, and keep using your PC for games.

OP
B

BEEEsH

Just buy a mini and a really nice screen. ;) It'll last you a couple of years (2-3) then you buy a mac-intel. When you get your next comp, use your mini as a media center-computer.

OP
M

menace3054

thendis said:
I think WinXP does a pretty good job considering all the millions of third party hardware that can be attached to it. Apple and other Mac-centered companies, have the advantage of knowing exactly what sort of processor, motherboard, graphics card etc. you have on your system. Windows has no such luxury, so you have to be a little understanding.

Where I think Windows falls down completely is in its interface organisation. There are too many long, illogical steps to do simple tasks, and I get sick and tired of it screaming at me 24/7...

"Your computer is at risk"
"hardware detected"
"your hardware is installed and ready to use"
"Network device unplugged"
"Automatic update is turned off"
"something else you didn't need to know"

SHUT UP! I just wanna do my work.

The other major downfall is in its aesthetic look. When you're creating something delicate and beautiful in Photoshop, a big bright green and blue bar running down the bottom and around windows is really distracting.

Those are my major pet peeves. Sorry to rant like that.

What I actually wanted to say was this:

I would have thought that with the Intel chip it would be easier for companies to port games to the mac, and therefore there would be more games available? I really have no idea how it all works, so perhaps I'm way off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I donno, it will be at least 2 years before it gets to a point where dual booting is stable. That's a long time to wait. I think buy a mac now to last you around 2-3 years, and keep using your PC for games.

what i hated was that for every 10 minutes you spent using it, you had to spend 30 fixing it and removing viruses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.