Iphone 3gs problem

Reaction score
Alright I bought an Iphone 3GS from someone on Kijiji a year ago.

Now, I’m unable to recharge or sync it because everytime I plug it into my mac book pro it says that the usb is drawing to much power. When I try in in my girlfriends pc and with my mac mini it’s the same problem.

The cable is in perfect condition but I didn’t try with another one because I need to buy one to try it.

Ok so I guess the problem is with the phone, but now my question is, what can I do to get that phone fix at the apple store? How much a problem will like that will cost? Since I bought it from kijiji and not at the apple store what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just did some reading on this, and the problem is more likely a defective USB port on your MacBook. I suggest trying a different USB port on that MacBook to see if the problem replicates on there. If it does, then if you have access to another Mac, try plugging it into that one. If you continue to have the problem on any Mac you plug it into, then the problem almost certain is the iPhone, although you should really try another cable to be certain.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just did some reading on this, and the problem is more likely a defective USB port on your MacBook. I suggest trying a different USB port on that MacBook to see if the problem replicates on there. If it does, then if you have access to another Mac, try plugging it into that one. If you continue to have the problem on any Mac you plug it into, then the problem almost certain is the iPhone, although you should really try another cable to be certain.

The phone doesn't work on my macbook, mac mini or dell laptop same too much power for usb is poping everywhere.

If the problem is not the cable, is it possible to get it repaired to a apple store? and if yes, 100$+++? or less? And what do you think is the problem if it's not the cable? battery? port on the phone?

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The phone doesn't work on my macbook, mac mini or dell laptop same too much power for usb is poping everywhere.

If the problem is not the cable, is it possible to get it repaired to a apple store? and if yes, 100$+++? or less? And what do you think is the problem if it's not the cable? battery? port on the phone?

Thank You!

I have no personal idea how it would be fixed, or how much. It certainly should be fixable. I'd start with a cable. If you have the same problem with the new cable, return it for a refund (be sure to buy somewhere that will take back opened, undamaged items). As for repairs… you can try iResQ. They will provide free estimates. Here's a list of some standard repairs with quotes:
Phone 3GS Service | Screen, Battery Replacement | Headphone Jack Repair

EDIT: BTW… if you know someone who has an iPod/iPhone, you can always try their cable also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.