Spacing out Imac...mouse has mind of its own!

Reaction score
Recently i have noticed my imac has been soo slow when responding to actions when i try to navigate around. It's like it has a mind of its own. I will click on something once and nothing will happen and i would have to keep clicking untill it gives in like 10 clicks later(its like my comp is daydreaming).

Usually when i click on things once it does several extra clicks for me which is so frustrating! Especially when im trying to transfer music, pics, etc to my flash drive/ipod It opens everything i highlighted and ruins my whole experience and repeats itself when i try again. When im on the internet and want to go back a page it takes me several pages back ***. Copying and pasting is such a pain...

I have tried shutting down/restarting and in the past it has worked once but now it has affect. So im wondering if anyone else has had the same problems i have had and what can i do to fix it. Is there anyone out there who can help me? o_O i will provide more info if needed!

I have a Imac and had it since late 06. I also have about 30-40 gigs left lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
If your hard disk is 500Gb then you're getting very close to the recommended minimum free space. Try removing files to cd/DVD/hard drive and/or delete unused apps. Delete trash, reboot and then see what happens.

OP
M
Reaction score
If your hard disk is 500Gb then you're getting very close to the recommended minimum free space. Try removing files to cd/DVD/hard drive and/or delete unused apps. Delete trash, reboot and then see what happens.

i dont have that many apps i dont use. I wish i could put some apps on a disc but my tray is broken =/ ill give it a try though thank you!

max GB on here is 152 and i used about 117gb. Im a music producer so i have quite alot of sounds but, that shouldnt interfere too much.

is there any other ways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
A mac with a tray for disks? What imac do you have? All recent ones to my knowledge are trayless.

OP
M
Reaction score
oh yea sorry it doesnt have a tray. Theres an opening on the right side which i do not know the word for it though, but thats broken lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Slot loader and they have very high failure rates alas.

Go into System Preferences assuming you are using a Mac mouse, and change the mouse settings. If these fail you can install other mouse software so keep us posted?

OP
M
Reaction score
i see yea kinda like what the ps3 has. The problem with that is that i can put cds in it but my mac will not read the cd =/ That will cost around $300 and what sucks the most is my apple care ran out a month b4 it happened lol

Im using a wireless mouse and the batteries are still good, but i dont think its the mouse...

At the moment its acting normal (as in instantly responding to commands and not doing any more unnecessary things) which is weird since i didnt do anything..yet.

Im going to keep you updated on my situation when it changes again =] feel free to post more tips. So far thanx for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best settings for a Magic Mouse in my experience is:-

Tracking .. second fast position in System Preferences

Scrolling .. third SLOWEST setting

Double Click .. third FASTEST setting

Do not use any of the highest speed settings as you will find double clicking will not work, scrolling will be mad all over the place and tracking goes mad! If these do not improve things, try install MouseZoom.

http://benh57.com/mousezoom.html

OP
M
Reaction score
Its acting up again and no doubt about it im starting to think its my processing speed. It must be lagging! Does anyone else think thats a possibility?

how can i fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No not processor. Try Repairing Permissions if other suggestions have not worked. And when you say it is not the batteries, at under 35% capacity they can play up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Disk Utility, select operating system name and click Repair Permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing. Just let it run and hope there is an improvement.

OP
M
Reaction score
hmmm nothing changed... do i have to restart? i shut/restart my comp about once a week and everything is fine once i turn it back on (sometimes). Theres no way to really tell that repairing my disk and restarting will solve the problem ya know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No sounds like your hard drive is full as stated earlier. Time to look at a1TB HDD.

OP
M
Reaction score
D= cant afford it and I am doubting the HDD is out. There has to be another way cause earlier i deleted alot of unused apps, files, music, etc and gained 25 GB and im still not done yet(i also shut down the computer). Some things should've cleared up right? Even when i had this much gb it still didn't act up like this before! What changed now?

Im back at Disk Utility and i think im going to repair the disk again and i just noticed something...

Theres this button that says "erase free space" would that help? and if i click it would it do ONLY what it says and got into my most important apps especially Logic pro?

I still appreciate the input im getting and im just throwing some things out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Erase Free Space will overwrite where files have been removed and not generate new space. There are problems where doing this creates a file which takes up all the free space showing the hard drive as full and it is then necessary to remove that file. This shoiws how:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...8-erase-free-space-function-disk-utility.html

A hard drive requires a minimum of some 15% to work anywhere near efficiently and if that is not the problem, any chance you have inadvertently downloaded malware called MacProtector, MacDefender, MacSecurity and similar names, and are you by chan ce running antivirus software which can bloat and slow your iMac?

Reaction score
helllo -;-

this happens to me sometimes

i have two external TB hard drives one i keep specifically for every thing that is not kept on this mac - mainly movies and its nearly full

the other is used excuslvely for back up and both run constantly - never turn them off

when i open programs the Mac seems to want to go to the movie external before it will do anything....i can hear it powering up the sleeping external

its the only thing i can think of to make my machine run so microstuft slow !!

don't know if this helps or not...but....felt to share
i have TB HD on my mac and its only a tiny bit full 400 GB so its not that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.