Trying to add a USB 3G modem

Reaction score
I have a Huawei E156g modem (yes, it's old).
It worked flawlessly with my previous macbookpro (which is almost identical to this one) - I just hit the little phone symbol in the top menu bar, and it connected. But since my last mac stopped working (unfixable, no idea why) and I purchased a new one, this new mac appears to have no "modem" options to connect. I have tried everything. I have spent the last hour googling support forums. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW TO GET "modem" to appear in the network settings as an option I can choose. HOW HARD CAN THAT BE?

Any ideas anyone? (yes, I have installed all the drivers. It's just not "seeing" the modem as a modem).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Network and with the modem connected hit the little '+' button at the foot of the connections list and a box should come up enabling you to select the modem.

Keep us posted?

OP
F
Reaction score
No - doesn't work. Tried that last night. There is no way to select "modem" there. It just does not exist. I just spent an half an hour on the phone with the Mac support people who just say "it's a software issue" and gave up. Flippin great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.