TextEdit Shortcuts

O

oinkydoodle

Is there a short cut for creating a bulleted list in TextEdit? I'm tired of taking the time to use my mouse and select a bulleted list in the drop down menu, especially when in the middle of typing up a storm. Any other shortcuts are appreciated also! Thanks!!

Reaction score
Option-Tab

Hi oinkydoodle,

Try Option-Tab.

If you'd like to then change it from a "dash" to a "bullet" a quick Right-click > List… should do the trick.

I know this is a little silly to reply to a post from 7 years ago, but your question came up in the Top 10 on a Google search for "keyboard shortcut bullet list textedit".

Newer versions of TextEdit, of course, have Formatting buttons in the Toolbar, but Option-Tab is still a great little time saver. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please take note of the date of the post you responded to; it's 7 years old!

Reaction score
Hi chscag,

You are absolutely right – the only reason I actually went ahead and did it is because a few minutes before when I was Google searching "keyboard shortcut bullet list textedit", this post was the #7 result…but it had no answer. I continued my search and got the answer from another link.

Before closing my Mac-Forums tab, I decided to leave the answer here, too. That way, if another, similar search occurs and the Mac-Forums link is clicked, at least now they'll have the answer.

I know oinkydoodle might never get the reply, but at least now there is an answer for a question that was still coming up in search results.

Thanks for having a great place to find answers and discussions. I hope all is well in the land of Mac-Forums, even with a user posting to 7 year-old content!

Reaction score
Hey there,

I just wanted to say it worked! All it took was another 6 years and this did indeed help someone else who was looking for the answer (me)! :D

So I registered, just to say thanks, @calebweeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hey there,

I just wanted to say it worked! All it took was another 6 years and this did indeed help someone else who was looking for the answer (me)! :D

So I registered, just to say thanks, @calebweeks.

Well son of a gun and welcome to mac-forums.

I often wondered if there was much value leaving old posts buried away. At least google can find them which is more than I can say for most vBulletin enabled searches.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Well son of a gun and welcome to mac-forums.

I often wondered if there was much value leaving old posts buried away. At least google can find them which is more than I can say for most vBulletin enabled searches.

- Patrick
======
Just imagine of all the knowledge that would have been lost, if we had to switch to the new Mac-Forums site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just imagine of all the knowledge that would have been lost, if we had to switch to the new Mac-Forums site?

Yup, there's a lot of valuable mac info tucked away in the old site. It would have been a crime to have lost it all.

So thanks to all those concerned to have saved it all and to all those supporting the site.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.