Problem with my iMac

Reaction score
I have serious problems with my iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010, 8GB Ram). I work mostly with the Adobe Creative Suite CS5, Windows XP @ VMWare Fusion, iWorks, etc, and now for the third time in a timespan of 4 months, the iMac freezes and makes an extremely loud (nonstop) noise.
This time I managed it to record a video.:

YouTube - iMac Noise

I've already sent the iMac to a Service Provider some weeks ago and they changed the HDD, but it seems that this was not the problem..

Anyone ever heared such a loud noise coming from an iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never heard anything quite like that before. It's definitely not coming from the hard drive. It sounds like some sort of feedback and interference coming from the sound (audio system).

Remove all external sound cards, speakers, microphones, or whatever else you have attached (if anything) and see if the sound goes away and freezing stops.

Freezes are usually caused by hardware - memory, hard drive, bad video, etc. But it can also be generated by software.

OP
K
Reaction score
I've never heard anything quite like that before. It's definitely not coming from the hard drive. It sounds like some sort of feedback and interference coming from the sound (audio system).

Remove all external sound cards, speakers, microphones, or whatever else you have attached (if anything) and see if the sound goes away and freezing stops.

Freezes are usually caused by hardware - memory, hard drive, bad video, etc. But it can also be generated by software.

There is no external stuff attached to the mac, except for the apple wired keyboard and magic mouse. We already reinstalled the whole system and changed the bluetooth mouse. I don't think it's because of the Creative Suite 5 or VMWare Fusion, because we have the same installation on more than 4 systems and there are no problems.

Anyone knows a good memory testing program for intel based iMacs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
There is no external stuff attached to the mac, except for the apple wired keyboard and magic mouse. We already reinstalled the whole system and changed the bluetooth mouse. I don't think it's because of the Creative Suite 5 or VMWare Fusion, because we have the same installation on more than 4 systems and there are no problems.

Anyone knows a good memory testing program for intel based iMacs?

I have used memtest and it seemed to work well.

That is a really awful noise. It sounds like something speaker related (Just cause I cant think of anything that would be able to make that loud of a sound other than the speakers) but I cant think of a good way to test it since the occurrences are few and far between.

But of course the speakers could just be a symptoms of another problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.