WHY is the CAPS. LOCK Light So Dodgy ?

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
All of my iMacs have unreliable caps. locks lights !

I find myself typing lower case instead of upper - and vice versa..
Often - the light goes out completely for periods !

Why - when Apple are usually such sticklers for getting things right - does this happen - anyone ?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I did mean the wireless keyboards !

My wired one never has this problem.

Although the wireless keyboards DO have a caps lock light !
Unlike the 2 wireless 'Windows' keyboards I have essentially for my 2 other pc's !

One thing though that Windows wireless keyboards DO have over Mac ones - is they enable you to do 'block changes by highlighting' - like when I want to raise the volume level of lots of new stuff imported into iTunes music library - or to series deletions !
Wish the Macs had this feature !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
One thing though that Windows wireless keyboards DO have over Mac ones - is they enable you to do 'block changes by highlighting' - like when I want to raise the volume level of lots of new stuff imported into iTunes music library - or to series deletions !

You mean like shift-arrow?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
All I can say is that I've not yet experienced any problems with the Caps Lock light on any of my wireless keyboards and I currently use two and had a third previously.

Ian

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
pedropete - you definitely have a lot of gripes. you need to stop complaining and start enjoying the good things about your computer!

FWIW, my caps lock keys have always been mega dodgy (and I also have two Macs). i cant get used to using the shift key. Its because on Apple keyboards the caps lock key has a slow response time. I always hit it too fast and it doesn't activate properly.

Thing is, Apple arent exactly the greatest when it comes to making keyboards anyway. adequate, yes, but not amazing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How fast are you guys hitting the Caps Lock. If I do it at a reasonable rate it always lights and works. For fast use I have always used the Shift key on the side I am typing. Same with a Windows machine.

The CAPS lock key is NOT a Shift key. It's for enabling Caps lock for a period of typing. The Shift keys are for use with just one letter. Its' been that way for my 20+ years of computers now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pedropete - you definitely have a lot of gripes. you need to stop complaining and start enjoying the good things about your computer!

FWIW, my caps lock keys have always been mega dodgy (and I also have two Macs). i cant get used to using the shift key. Its because on Apple keyboards the caps lock key has a slow response time. I always hit it too fast and it doesn't activate properly.

Thing is, Apple arent exactly the greatest when it comes to making keyboards anyway. adequate, yes, but not amazing.

No gripes really-just queries!

Just seemed the opportune place to find out whether my experiences are shared by others or not !
Can't discuss with mates-as they're all windows users!:Blushing:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The CAPS lock key is NOT a Shift key. It's for enabling Caps lock for a period of typing. The Shift keys are for use with just one letter. Its' been that way for my 20+ years of computers now.

Lol, its just the way i have gotten used to typing. I just prefer to whack the the caps lock key quickly *on* letter *off*. most windows keyboards allow me to do that. i guess its just bad practice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope it did not come off like I was jumping on anyone. The Caps lock on many of my Widows machines does not respond to rapid fire usage either. I can hit it here And IT's fine as long as I don't try and type 100WPM on the Caps lock key! :D Grin Just did it in my message here. :D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope it did not come off like I was jumping on anyone.

of course not mate. :) and you are right, 100wpm on the caps lock isnt good. I hate using it, but its a habit I have gotten into. i wish i could break it, you may notice I don't capitalise much in my posts. Thats part laziness, part inability to use shift.

im a relatively fast typer aswell, but i cant get the hang of the one simple keystroke!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
firstly.... awww, love how it all goes nice in the end :)

For me, the only time I use caps lock is when I accidentally hit it when I'm aiming for shift and then I have to reach for that delete key.
Personally, I'd prefer if there was no caps lock!

I know, my 2cents worth isn't always worth 2cents, but that's all I've got :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No problems here with the caps lock light either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
They do.

You can hold the 'Shift' key whilst selecting the first then last entry of the block you wish to change, alternatively you can hold the 'Command' key and toggle individual files. Also, in Finder you can simply pick up as many files as you wish by holding the mouse/trackpad key and swiping across the files.

There's many ways to select a block of files, and all ways are common across most applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.