can't set up mp620 printer

Reaction score
a friend recently gave me a canon mp620 printer without the cd and I can't get my computer to see it. I have downloaded the software from the website but it mustn't be complete as its not detecting the printer. I'm hoping someone knows how to install it without the install cd. I have a G4 iBook with 10.4.11 software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
a friend recently gave me a canon mp620 printer without the cd and I can't get my computer to see it. I have downloaded the software from the website but it mustn't be complete as its not detecting the printer. I'm hoping someone knows how to install it without the install cd. I have a G4 iBook with 10.4.11 software.

How do you have it connected? Here's some possible solutions others have worked out… read the whole thread:
Printer Canon Pixma MP620 Wifi with MAC OS X (10.5)

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry for the calling it a MAC instead of a Mac. I downloaded all the software and my computer doesn't have the printer in its list. I hardwired the printer so it recognizes it but then it asks for a driver before I can add. They don't list a driver to download for the 10.4.11 software so I'm stuck. Please help me find the driver so I can download it.

OP
K
Reaction score
can't setup cannon mp620 printer

iBook G4 w/ 10.4.11 software
I can't seem to setup my printer. I downloaded the software and have the printer connected by hardwire. I read the other helpful letters but they all seem to apply to the latter 10.5 software. I go into preferences, then to the printer/fax, then I hit the + sign and my printer appears but it then asks for the driver and my printer isn't on the driver list. I have tried to print with several different drivers but have no luck. I need to know how to get the correct driver.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry for the calling it a MAC instead of a Mac. My bad. I downloaded all the software and my computer doesn't have the printer in its list. I hardwired the printer so it recognizes it but then it asks for a driver before I can add. They don't list a driver to download for the 10.4.11 software so I'm stuck. Please help me find the driver so I can download it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have that exact same printer. I'm fairly certain that it is not supported in Tiger. You don't need the original disk to install it as all the necessary drivers and network utilities are on the Canon site for download.

However, you'll notice that the downloads are for Leopard and Snow Leopard. You'll either have to upgrade or just use the MP 620 as a generic printer with no wireless.

OP
K
Reaction score
can't even use the printer as a hardwired printer yet. I downloaded all the software on the canon site for 10.4 and I still can't setup the printer to work at all. How do you use the printer as a generic printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 w/ 10.4.11 software
I can't seem to setup my printer. I downloaded the software and have the printer connected by hardwire. I read the other helpful letters but they all seem to apply to the latter 10.5 software. I go into preferences, then to the printer/fax, then I hit the + sign and my printer appears but it then asks for the driver and my printer isn't on the driver list. I have tried to print with several different drivers but have no luck. I need to know how to get the correct driver.

They don't all apply to 10.5+. The reply that opens up first was a 10.4.11 user and he got it working. Have you read the manual for it entirely?
Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : PIXMA MP620

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait… there are drivers for 10.4 on their website. Good gawd this is stupid! Their 10.4 drivers aren't listed if you select "Mac OS X v10.4" from the OS list. You have to pick simply "Mac OS X", then pick the right driver. See screenshot attached.

Canon.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.