Partitioned Hardrive

Reaction score
Im sure this has been answered before but I could not find it.

I've got a 2TB Fantom Drive that I have partitioned into 2, one being 1.75TB and the second being 250GB. About a week ago, the 250GB disk stopped working and I was told that the disk could not be repaired after doing everything I could. Erasing this part of the disk would obviously fix the problem but I'm wondering if erasing the 250GB disk will wipe the entire drive.

I have seen answers go both ways. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Removing the 250 GB partition will not erase or wipe the drive if done correctly. You should be able to use Disk Utility to remove the partition without any effect on the remainder of the drive.

What kind of errors are you seeing on the 250 GB partition, and have you tried to reformat it?

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't think simply removing the partition will fix the problem.
This is the error I get when I try to repair the disk:

Disk Utility stopped repairing “Time Machine”
Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Won't reformatting any part of the disk(the 250 GB) erase the contents of the entire disk? I don't exactly have a extra 2TB hdd lying around to back up everything

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No. If you are careful to select the 250 GB partition rather than the entire drive only the smaller partition will be erased.

You might want to start saving for a backup drive though. Sometimes these errors are easily corrected with a reformat of the problem partition but sometimes it is a sign of additional problems down the road.

OP
G
Reaction score
alright awesome thanks. this drive is backing up my macbook but i agree I might need another. thanks for the help. I wanted to make sure before i erase about 1.8TB of files

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.