MacBook Help!!

Reaction score
So i got this macbook from my buddy who fixed it becasue some kid sprayed frabreeze in it. Booted fine after that.

The back case was all broken so he decided to take it apart to replace it. He took it off and just put it back on.

Now it wont boot and no lights turn on or anything.

My question is is there something he didnt put back right possibly or something i should check contact to make sure the power button works properly?

I took it apart and i dont see anything burnt on the logic board and the cable that connects the logic board to key board isnt damaged.

Just not sure where to start on this dont have much mac experience. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's best to go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up their take apart instructions for your MacBook. Check the steps and take notice of the various parts fit and cables. The top case where the power button and contacts are should be looked at closely to make sure everything is lined up and correct.

OP
H
Reaction score
It's best to go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up their take apart instructions for your MacBook. Check the steps and take notice of the various parts fit and cables. The top case where the power button and contacts are should be looked at closely to make sure everything is lined up and correct.

Thanks i will check that out asap.

he didnt mess with the power button but the back is metal so im guessing it has to have a good contact with the rest of assembly. or not not sure

What is the minimum that has to be connected to have it boot. since im trouble shooting dont want to put it all back together every
time. Im not sure if the metal tabs on the upper case have to contact the bottom for it to boot or if just having the cable will be enough.

OP
H
Reaction score
Found the ribbon cable came a part from but not broken. This is the one from key board to logic board. I tried to power on the MacBook and when I wiggled it the fan came on and it beeped steadily every 3 sec. Could that ribbon cable be why it won't turn on. Oh yea I don't have ram in it but that's not my prob.

ef38e094.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Usually computers will not boot if there is no RAM in them. How is back is replaced because it was broken not a statement that the computer has physical damage?

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes Maybe so but the computer was booting fine with a broken case untill it got removed. Ribbon cable is fried so I ordered a new one we will see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.