USB port drawing too much power HELP?!

J

jackw

please forgive me if i have post this in the wrong place, literally just made this account.

basically i keep getting these annoying messages on my mac about the USB drawing to much power.

"USB port drawing too much power.
The device that is plugged into it will be deactivated"

all i have plugged in is a logitech mouse, and my charger (both of which are plugged in pretty much all day.)

three main questions really,
1) how to i stop the annoying messages which keep popping up?
2) what is actually happening?
3) and when the message appears, the mouse stops working for a few seconds then works again after a click - how do i keep it working?

thanks alot, jack

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The amount of power drawn by the Logitech mouse is very small and should not cause that message to appear. It's likely occurring from your charger that you have plugged in. What kind of charger is it that you have to have it plugged into a USB port all day?

You can cause serious damage to your machine if you continue to overdraw the USB power it can supply. I suggest removing the charger and plug it in elsewhere or buy a powered USB hub and use that instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, Intel, 2.8 GHz, 4GB
What kind of a Mac is it? iMac? MacBook? If it is a MacBook, is it dented anywhere around the USB ports?

OP
J

jackw

The amount of power drawn by the Logitech mouse is very small and should not cause that message to appear. It's likely occurring from your charger that you have plugged in. What kind of charger is it that you have to have it plugged into a USB port all day?

You can cause serious damage to your machine if you continue to overdraw the USB power it can supply. I suggest removing the charger and plug it in elsewhere or buy a powered USB hub and use that instead.

What kind of a Mac is it? iMac? MacBook? If it is a MacBook, is it dented anywhere around the USB ports?

thanks for both getting back for me.
i have the charger plugged in the majority of the day, but its the mouse causing the problems

and this is the type of macbook i have
Google Image Result for http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/5/5/05306955/g_05306955.jpg

and there is no dents.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks for both getting back for me.
i have the charger plugged in the majority of the day, but its the mouse causing the problems

As a test, why don't you disconnect the charger for awhile and only use the mouse? Let's see what happens.

OP
J

jackw

As a test, why don't you disconnect the charger for awhile and only use the mouse? Let's see what happens.

i've just done this using the mouse plugged in and having the charger out
the message still appears.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then, it appears your mouse is defective. I've never seen any kind of mouse overdraw power from a USB port. It's usually devices like chargers and iPods (especially an iPad) that cause that error to appear. The solution is to buy another mouse. Any USB mouse should work with your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.