Pages in word document gone missing! Desperate help!

Reaction score
Hi there!

Im in DESPERATE NEED of a answer or CURE!

Iam working on a rather lengthy report. Which I was saving as I was working, pressing CTRL + S. Everything was fine until i inserted a screen dump that I had saved on my desktop to the word document. The first iimage wasnt write so I deleted it and inserted another one. Ive continued to work on that section and as Ive been pressing save Ive gone to scroll right up to the top of the document to realise the top of the document was the picture section I was just working on.

Where had my other 7 pages gone?
Can they just disappear like that?
Theres no way I could have deleted all those pages when I deleted the screendump is there? Surely I would have needed to select those pages before they vanished.

I dont know where to look and because I was saving as I was going, the recent section is ALL I HAVE.

PLEASE tell me THERE IS SOMEWAY I can find my same file but before I pressed save so many times!!?? Or that this is a glitch and WORD has saved those pages somewhere else...

OHHHH PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Word does have an autosave feature. Is yours turned on? (Check in preferences.) I can give more detail when I'm at my Mac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the correct forum as it does not belong in "The Lounge". Please read forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

There are two ways to protect a document in Word. One is to select "Always make a backup" and the other is to be sure to have the "Autosave" feature turned on. The "Always make a backup" is what you need in your current situation. Look to see if there is a backup in your documents folder.

Autosave documents can be found here:

/Users/you/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 AutoRecovery/

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for your help...

Unless im doing it wrong, I search the autosave file and word has autosaved the recent document, which is just the 2 pages. Is there a way in word someone can look or open all the 'saves history' or something?

I dont understand how 7 pages have been deleted of the document - I had pressed save before pressing save right at the end of adding my new information. Which is now all that is left.

All i can think was I inserted a picture and when deleting the picture of the page the other pages went with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Word Preferences: "Save" Check the box that says: "Always make a backup copy".

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you!

'save back up' wasnt on - I have changed the settings now for the future.

I spoke to someone from Microsoft who told me that the information has been lost. The only file on auto- recover is my current 2 paged file - she couldnt explain why it has happened and told me she has had other customers in the past with the same problem?

So I guess its back to square one.

Thank you so much for your time and help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry to hear you lost your work. I suspect it had to do with the graphics. It likely overlaid the pages you're missing.

From now on when using large graphic inserts, try it first on a copy of the original document rather then the production one.

OP
F
Reaction score
Great advice - The beauty of hindsight!

Ohhh Im still not done getting back to what I Lost :(

But thank you for your quick response. I will learn from this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.