I need to record a phone interview. Help?

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm currently interning at a magazine and was given the assignment of doing a phone interview later today (in 5 and a half hours, to be exact). The iPhone being the iPhone, I assumed it would have the ability to record calls easily, especially since this is a standard feature on most phones. Ever since I woke up this morning and started searching for the right app, I've found nothing helpful. And before any legal discussion starts, YES, I've already informed the person I'm interviewing through email that they will be recorded.

Everything I find on google is outdated. Options that seem to work are ridiculously expensive. This is a one-time thing for me, so I don't want to pay $30 for 120 minutes of recording time (from RecordiaPro) or be charged $1 a minute for calls. I can see this lasting around 40 minutes, and I'm broke.

Recorder app seemed like it held promise, but when I read the reviews, a lot of people said that it was a scam and that they spam you. Others said you have to pay per minute and that even after you pay it doesn't work.

Long story short: anyone know of any tricks or apps that can do this? Oh yeah, the call will be an incoming one (the person's agent would give me a phone number), so apps that only record outgoing ones won't work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since you work at a magazine...don't you have co-workers that do the same thing from time to time. What do they do...they use?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't work there; I just intern there. I'm out of state for the summer (the internship is for college and located in the same place as my school) so they can't help me anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't work there; I just intern there. I'm out of state for the summer (the internship is for college and located in the same place as my school) so they can't help me anyway.

Do they have e-mail or use telephones? You don't have to be physically located in the same place to be able to ask questions.

As an intern it's part of your job to learn & ask questions. I only mention this...since the answers they give you may be more appropriate...and asking questions can help build a relationship with the company you're currently interning for.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I already sent an email to my supervisor, but it usually takes her a couple of days to answer back. As for calling, she specifically says: don't.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I already sent an email to my supervisor, but it usually takes her a couple of days to answer back. As for calling, she specifically says: don't.

Ok...I was just trying to throw some other ideas your way...just in case you don't get an answer here (in time) that solves things. Hopefully you're also scouring the internet for other solutions...and not just waiting for the answer to "pop up" here.;)

I don't know if any of these solutions are free...but something to look into:

Guide to iPhone Call Recording

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
None of those options worked for me. I have a Google Voice account, but it wouldn't do anything. I ended up having to buy a cheap recorder and put the conversation on speaker so that both our voices would be captured.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What phones allow you to easily record a conversation? I've never seen one.

They don't make it easy on purpose since in most states it's illegal to tape record a conversation without the permission of the person you're recording. A lot of people would get in trouble if it were easy.

OP
J
Reaction score
Nokia phones have this capability. My mom owns a cheap phone, I don't know what kind but it's from ATT, that has this function built in. Most of my phones before the iPhone were cheap and they could all do it easily. And from what I've read on the internet all day today, it seems most phones can do it.

As for the legality, the majority of states actually DON'T require you to let the other person know. Only eleven states require that.

I also hear there are other countries in existence on the planet besides the United States, which don't have the same laws. Shocking, huh?

In my opinion, it's a completely idiotic move on Apple's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nokia phones have this capability. My mom owns a cheap phone, I don't know what kind but it's from ATT, that has this function built in. Most of my phones before the iPhone were cheap and they could all do it easily. And from what I've read on the internet all day today, it seems most phones can do it.

As for the legality, the majority of states actually DON'T require you to let the other person know. Only eleven states require that.

I also hear there are other countries in existence on the planet besides the United States, which don't have the same laws. Shocking, huh?

In my opinion, it's a completely idiotic move on Apple's part.

Completely idiotic? They sell every single iPhone they can make. I'm pretty sure their customers aren't abandoning the platform in droves over missing this feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.