PowerMac g4 DVD drive and other issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro , 2.4ghz, 200gb HD, 4GB RAM; PowerBook G4 12".
Hey guys it's been a while,
Anyway, I have an old PowerMac G4 that I bought on eBay a while ago and I just now started to try and get it working. I installed a new hard drive and DVD drive. I'm not sure if the jumpers are set correctly but I assume they are. I have turned the machine on and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen. I've read to reset the PMU which I've done, but it doesn't seem to work. The battery next to it may be the problem.
Also, I have opened the disc drive with the keyboard eject button and that works, but when I put a disc in it makes a sound then spits the disc out. I'm not sure what that problem may be, if it ends up being an expensive problem I'm just going to give up on it haha.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I installed a new hard drive and DVD drive. I'm not sure if the jumpers are set correctly but I assume they are. I have turned the machine on and it powers on, but nothing displays on the screen.

You didn't mention installing the OS...you did install an OS on that new hard drive?

Could you also elaborate on what you mean by..."nothing displays on the screen"? Sometimes nothing is really not nothing.

- Nick

OP
derekblock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I power on the machine I can hear the chime. Then the light kind of flashes on and off but my monitor never turns on. I know the monitor works. And as far as the OS, I tried to install tiger but it spit the disc out

OP
derekblock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems like it's goin to turn on. Meaning the monitor turns on but only stay on for a moment then says it's going to sleep. Could it be the video card?

OP
derekblock
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok now this is odd. I turned off the machine and popped the tiger install disc in. Rebooted to disc. The same thing happened so I thought. I waited a moment longer and the screen came on. But the picture is very distorted and there's no color. Is there a way to post pics?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to post pics?

Of course there is...you just got to know how.;)

power-mac-g4-mdd-dual-1-25ghz.jpg

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.