Better Design Feature ?

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I get irritated always having to fiddle around the bottom rear to plug in USB's etc !
Wouldn't it be easier if Macs had side-slots, down from the cd/dvd slot for easier access ?
Apple have put the new fast-loading Thunderbolt thingy there - after all!

Or - a drop-down flap at the front !?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wouldn't it be easier if Macs had side-slots, down from the cd/dvd slot for easier access ?

Since you own iMac's...are you limiting this question to just iMac's?...or are you including:

- Mac Pro's
- MacBook's
- MacBook Air's
- MacBook Pro's
- Mac Mini's

...as well in this question? MacBook Air's don't even have a CD/DVD slot.;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple and especially Steve Jobs is very against ports and openings on the front and even sides of the iMac. He wants it all in back where it's never seen.

I agree that sometimes they can make it still look nice but put a port on the side or front, but Apple so far has never done that.

I agree some Windows machines with ports all over the place look tacky, but its very convenient sometimes! :D Especially when plugging in some USB sticks and other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I get irritated always having to fiddle around the bottom rear to plug in USB's etc !

Because a "flap" in the front and even ports on the side isn't at all aesthetically pleasing and Apple is all about being aesthetically pleasing. That's their brand.

Besides, what are you constantly having to plug and unplug cables for anyway? If you don't have enough space or want it more convenient, buy a USB hub.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I absolutely agree with the way Apple has designed the location of the ports. To me, there is nothing as ugly as a flap in front or a bunch of various ports staring me in the eye. Even worse, having the cables stick out from them.

My iMac is a thing of beauty with nothing but the display in front and the Apple logo. Just my opinion.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
of course, you could always get a mac pro. they have ports on the front ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 27 iMac 2.93
Or you could buy a nice usb hub that matches your mac and plug them in there.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
of course, you could always get a mac pro. they have ports on the front ;)

I have a MacBook Pro Uni-Body !

Ports are on the side-no problem !:)

STILL - while accepting the quintessential Mac minimalist design is better without front flaps etc
I don't see why they can't use the side, down from the CD/Dvd slot !

Just my opinion !

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I have a MacBook Pro Uni-Body !

Ports are on the side-no problem !:)

STILL - while accepting the quintessential Mac minimalist design is better without front flaps etc
I don't see why they can't use the side, down from the CD/Dvd slot !

Just my opinion !

because having a memory stick protruding out of the side of your imac looks a bit silly really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score

I have the perfect solution for you. It's cheap and easy. Get yourself one of these:

3ft USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable
$1.10
For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3ft USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Extension 28/24AWG Cable (Gold Plated) | USB Extension Cables - A Male to A Female

This is a USB extension cable. I have one on every desktop Mac in my office. You run the cable so that the USB socket is sitting right in front of your monitor. So you can instantly plug-in your USB flash drive, or a card reader, etc. It is totally non-intrusive (and can be easily moved out of the way if you need to.)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oh for sure, I hate having some USB Flash drive sticking out of the side of the computer. Looks ugly and gets in the way. I keep my Left and Right Klipsch Speakers on the side's of my imac and would have to move things to put in a drive.

I have no issues with them in the rear at all really. Makes the installation look tidy and neat and if you need to plug in a drive all the time, get a nice USB Hub. I have 2 7-Port Belkin's each with 2 top mounted ports which is perfect for plugging in USB Flash Drives. It it all the time and it's great. That gives me 10 USB ports in back of the Hubs for all my other Peripherals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP, unless you have a wireless keyboard you have 2 USB's on your keyboard.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes-I have 3 wireless boards though, and just the one wired..

Can't understand why it seems ALL wireless boards - either Macs or Windows - DON'T have caps. lights - or they don't work properly !

Hardly rocket science-is it ?:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, this caps lock thing was covered in another thread, nobody really has a problem with it other than you.

Not to be rude, but at this point, given the number of issues you have with so many different things, I wonder how much of it is user error than actual hardware/software issues. It's always easier to blame the machine or someone else. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, this caps lock thing was covered in another thread, nobody really has a problem with it other than you.

Not to be rude, but at this point, given the number of issues you have with so many different things, I wonder how much of it is user error than actual hardware/software issues. It's always easier to blame the machine or someone else. ;)
What other thread ?
I haven't seen it - if I had I would not have caused unnecessary proliferation !

I really don't think I have 'so many issues with so many different things'- as you say rather harshly-imho
I am not admittedly as techie as a lot of you guyz etc
I think I just put the view of ordinary 'man in the street' who experiences these things.
I think-with Respect and obvious implied tongue-in-cheek humour - that you are being a bit patronising to we lesser Mortals !:Lips-Are-Sealed:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What other thread ?
I haven't seen it - if I had I would not have caused unnecessary proliferation !

Be very careful what you wish for...you just may get it!;)

Here's your complaint about iMac USB ports:

Here's your complaint about sticking caps locks:

All of my iMacs have unreliable caps. locks lights !

I find myself typing lower case instead of upper - and vice versa..
Often - the light goes out completely for periods !

Why - when Apple are usually such sticklers for getting things right - does this happen - anyone ?

Here's your "sort of" complaint regarding not getting an answer:

That's odd - I had posted an almost identical question - about 12 hours earlier...

Yet - it gained zero responses !
How odd - is it the time difference I wonder ?

Here's your complaint about Macs costing less in the United States:

OK - starting a new thread here, as suggested (!)...
As I'm a relatively Newbie here, I don't know the frequency of such a discussion hitherto, but I have picked up in various posts the underlying assumption that 'Macs are expensive Stateside'..
OK - we are all aware that Macs have a certain cache and desirability which may or may not be connected to the pricing structure - but to those I know, the attitude is either - 'Bloody Apples - over-priced but nice !' - or - 'Macs - the Rolls Royce of Computers !'. Some have even cited the earlier advertising thrust for Stella Artois, a popular,strong European lager made in Belgium - Stella Artois, whose slogan is-still-I think - " Reassuringly Expensive'...
What concerns me on a personal level is that here in Europe, we have ALWAYS had to pay a significant Premium for most electronic goods - compared to the U.S.A.

WHY is that ?

I cite the recently launched iMac 27" - the i5 model - which is currently priced at Amazon.com at $1,697.00.

The SAME machine on Amazon.co.uk is priced at GBP 1,649.00 !

- it would STILL have been cheaper for me to ask my ex-wife to re-send the large box by international carrier to me out here in Spain !

I DON'T UNDERSTAND !
I thought we lived in a 'Free Trade World' naively...?

So - when I hear you Americans, bleating on here about 'Macs are so expensive' etc
Spare a thought for your European brothers - please !?

Here you are again "sort of" indirectly complaining about not getting a response to a 2nd question:

Can't believe there isn't anyone on this erudite Forum who has nothing to say about this question....

Here again you're complaining a THIRD time about not getting a response to a "Vuse" question:

Wow - quite a surprise here - Zero ideas ?:|

Another complaint:

I have had this ongoing irritation on my iMac24 with OS X Snow Leopard in which I all too regularly get an on-screen message/reminder -

" CT Toolbar
Toolbar has not been tested on this ver(s)ion.
Toolbar bundle will not be loaded "

It comes UP ALL THE TIME and is a constant and niggling annoyance !!

What is it, what is it for, and HOW do I DISABLE it - Please folks !?!

I also have an iMac27 and an Apple Power Book both with OS X, and an iPad - but none of these suffer this annoyance !:Angry:

This is a VERY high level of "complaining" threads (compared to other members) and compared to your post total of 70 (at this point).

I'm not saying that most of your postings I quoted above are unfair things to post questions about here on Mac-Forums...it's the way that you phrase everything in an angry...irritated...negative...grumpy manner.:(

How about putting a little more "positivity" & less "negativity" into these posts? Then they won't come across appearing so much as "complaints"...but genuine concerns that you would like help with.:) You may also find that you will get more responses...and more "friendly" responses to your questions.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are not 'çomplaint's' !!

They are - observations.

Don't you know the distinction ?;D

And - I am neither - 'angry, irritated,negative - or grumpy'!

Well - not most of the Time anyway.
You know the problem with the written word ?
It can be mis-construed etc !

If you met me, you would see a well-rounded, amusing individual, happy with Life etc
Who rises each morning, full of the Joys of Life itself - and eager to get on to his battery of Wonderful, Majestic Macs !!
(Big Laughing Smiley - if it was available, which it isn't as this is an edit...)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I totally agree...many times what we write in electronic communication (or written communication) of any sort can be easily misunderstood. This is why it's so important for all of us to choose & use our words carefully.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well - not most of the Time anyway.

That's true, but you can also control that to an extent by how you write and the words you choose to use. I may suggest that you compare the way you write with others since there is a definite feeling that you are very aggressive, demanding, negative, and borderline rude at times in your posts.

Not really things we look for in this community and if you're not meaning to come off that way, you might want to look at how you are choosing to form your thoughts in writing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.