What are the chance of the new MBP lacking a super drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 12gb RAM
Hello,
This thread is specifically for speculation over the lack of a super drive as other threads seem to digress into other matters over liquid metal etc.
All i want to know is if you think the late 2011 or early 2012 model of the mac book pro will lack a super drive due to the dwindling usage of disks by many people.

Thank you for any comments in advance.
Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that Apple already has this product...the MacBook Air (which I believe you already own).:)

As far as speculation (MacBook/MacBook Pro with no Superdrive)...where do you think the price of gold will be in 2012?;) Who knows?

I think that at this point it would be a bit redundant to have a MacBook & MacBook Air without a Superdrive (same form-factor). Although the MacBook Air would have more "style" unless a MacBook without a Superdrive would be redesigned.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 12gb RAM
Thanks for the input!
I've passed my Mac book air onto a family member as the weight didn't bother me and she travels more. It was for insight then a hard edged answer as i'm aware that apple have a habit of doing as they please when they please. I'm just hoping they replace it with a second hard drive bay really so i don't have to void my warranty :)

With regards to the price of gold its probably easier to predict then apple due to its stability even through recession :) These guys normally get it near enough to the exact figure.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With regards to the price of gold its probably easier to predict then apple due to its stability even through recession :) These guys normally get it near enough to the exact figure.

Gold may be easier to predict...but whether Apple or gold...who really knows.;)

The question about no superdrive in a MacBook/MacBook Pro may not even be the direction Apple is thinking of going at all. Maybe Apple is thinking something completely different.

As far as the 2nd hard drive...what do you need a 2nd internal HD for? I bet with proper "housekeeping" you don't even need half the storage space of your current HD.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Thanks for the input!
I've passed my Mac book air onto a family member as the weight didn't bother me and she travels more. It was for insight then a hard edged answer as i'm aware that apple have a habit of doing as they please when they please. I'm just hoping they replace it with a second hard drive bay really so i don't have to void my warranty :)

If apple decides to get rid of the optical drive I dont see them putting a second hdd bay in it. This is "too complicated" for most of apples target market. They don't want to be looking around on two different drives for things.

I would love to see the optical drive be taken out except that I would probobly take away our ability to put 2 HDDs in it.

Also putting a HDD in the place of the optical drive doesnt void the warranty. Just put it back together correctly before bringing it in.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 12gb RAM
If apple decides to get rid of the optical drive I dont see them putting a second hdd bay in it. This is "too complicated" for most of apples target market. They don't want to be looking around on two different drives for things.

I would love to see the optical drive be taken out except that I would probobly take away our ability to put 2 HDDs in it.

Also putting a HDD in the place of the optical drive doesnt void the warranty. Just put it back together correctly before bringing it in.

Thanks, for the input the reason i ask is i'm going to be getting my MBP in september and im weight up the pros and cons of maybe waiting for a new release as september is close the cycle date.

BTW, does replacing the main hard drive void my warranty if its a 3rd party ssd? again if i wasn't to put it back when returning it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope, the replacement procedure is published in the owners manual.. so it's kosher.. it will mean, however, that just like RAM replacement.. the HDD would no longer be covered. Which is fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks, for the input the reason i ask is i'm going to be getting my MBP in september and im weight up the pros and cons of maybe waiting for a new release as september is close the cycle date.

If I had to guess, especially since the MBPs were just updated, you won't see a MBP update in September, except maybe a slight speed bump.

Any major revision of the MBP wont happen until 2012, IMHO.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I hope the Superdrive will still be an option since I like ripping my music to lossless
and the fact every provider in Houston now has caps so big downloads may become things of the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.