MS Word Question

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem, or if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
Whenever I have multiple word documents running, I might keep one up on the screen and the others minimized on the task bar. However, when I click on a word doc that's on the task bar to pull it up, it will always pull up BEHIND the word doc that I already have up on the screen. Then I'll have to move the windows around until I can click on it to bring it forward. It's not such a pain until I have 3+ word docs open and it will do this every time. I would like to be able to click on a Word doc that's minimized and have it be on top of the other docs. Help please? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doesn't work that way for me. If I minimize a document and work on a second document, and then open the first document that was minimized, it appears on top. That's with both Office 2008 and Office 2011 Word using the Print view option.

Which version of Word are you using? And do you have all the updates and service packs installed?

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm using Office 2008 and it is updated. When I try to pull up a second word document, it will start to bring it up in front, but then the first document will jump forward as if there was a "Keep On Top" function on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's definitely something wrong there. Try moving the Word Plist file to your desktop when Word is not running. Then open Word again to see if the problem goes away. Here's the location of the file:

/Users/you/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

If moving it to the desktop doesn't work, move it back to its original location. Let us know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried to get it to do what you're experiencing by going through the various options and I can not. My subsequent documents will always open on top as would be expected.

Are you also using Powerpoint or Excel? If you are, see if the same thing is happening with those documents.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest in this problem... that's awesome!
I did try it with Excel just now and the windows pulled up just fine. It's only on MS Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. That tells us that something is probably corrupt in Word causing that to happen. As far as I know, there are no options to change which would cause that to happen. MS Office has a myriad of files, databases, and profiles that it uses for the suite but since it's only happening with Word, it has to be something that Word uses.

The problem is trying to track it down. You could always remove and reinstall Office but that's a royal pain. (You can't remove Word without removing the entire suite) I've done it before and it takes several hours to get things right again.

I'll keep digging around and see if I can come up with something. You might also want to post this on the Microsoft Mac Office forum. There are some really sharp guys and gals who hang out there that might just have the answer. I believe you'll have to register in order to post but registration is free. Here is the LINK.

OP
A
Reaction score
Cool thanks, I'll try the other forum. I was thinking about calling their support line as well and see what they say. Thanks again for your help... and stay safe in these storms! (I'm from Dallas :) )

Reaction score
THis might not be what you're looking for but have you tried using exposé? It makes switching windows so easy that you don't really need to worry about anything anymore.

OP
A
Reaction score
I do use the expose function sometimes, but I'm looking for ease of use with my mouse. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.