External HDD questions

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a 2TB external HDD for my 2007 aluminum iMac. My intentions for this HDD seemed simple - I wanted to keep my music on the external HDD and have my iTunes pull it from the external HDD as it was being played. I installed the HDD, and I moved my music over. I some how went about doing it the wrong way because iTunes could no longer find any of the music - even when I was trying to open the mp3s from the right HDD.

I ended up moving all of the music back and returning the HDD.. this resulted in some how creating doubles of certain (not all) mp3s.

Today I noticed I have about 20GB left until my internal HDD is full. I need to get an HDD but I am confused about how to move the music over and afraid of wasting $100.. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read through this article which shows how to move your iTunes library. Additionally, Apple has basically the same instructions for doing so in their knowledge base articles.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.