My Experencine w/ macbook pro and Apple- Horrible

Reaction score
Bought macbook pro remanufactured from apple salesman.
Told me perfect working order - JUST LIKE NEW!
When I received it, can't get past registration when the keyboard doesn't work.

So I drive 50 miles round trip at $4.35 a gallon to the Apple store for nothing.
Told me send it back to the company if it doesn't work.

Back home on the phone for over an hour, they can send me another piece of PONIES or give me ONLY $150.00 CREDIT TOWARDS NEW. Million dollar company can only give me pennies to buy new.

Asked for at least iwork installed, can't give it to me but I can sure buy it for $79.00.

Drove 20 miles to drop it off to Fedex!

Home now with nothing and empty pockets!

Just checked Amazon and $400.00 cheaper than what I paid!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17inch, Intel Core i7 2,6 Ghz (Boost: 3,2 Ghz), 8GB DDR3 1066Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 330M
That sucks. Happy i bought a new one, never had any issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry...your experience is VERY atypical. The vast majority of folks with problems usually have their problems dealt with quickly & positively!:)

I'm sure there's more to the story than we're hearing.;)

Also...if you found the same computer on Amazon for $400 less...sounds like someone should have done a little more research before buying! Don't blame everything on Apple.

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm curios to know what u bought and for how much. Did u buy it from a real apple store or a authorized retailer? There is no return policy on a refurb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm curios to know what u bought and for how much. Did u buy it from a real apple store or a authorized retailer? There is no return policy on a refurb?

THat's what I'm wondering because an "Apple Salesman" sounds like someone in the store and the Apple Stores don't sell refurbished. Only online or from certified Apple resellers. So, was this actually purchased in an Apple Store or somewhere else?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Deleted - Rustproof had already posted - I should read a little more closely. :Blushing:

OP
V
Reaction score
Bought from 1-800-apple

I called 1-800-apple and bought from a salesman that told me it was a perfect all most new machine.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I called 1-800-apple and bought from a salesman that told me it was a perfect all most new machine.

I'm not accusing you or anything, but this does not add up.

1) Apple has a no questions asked money back policy (I believe 14 days). I know, I've used it twice and never had a problem with getting a full refund including shipping.
2) Apple refurbs carry the same warranty as new, so if you have a problem they will fix it

Again, something doesn't add up here, or we're not getting the whole story.

EDIT: I just checked on the Apple Store web site and their posted return policy is 14 days

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry to hear about your trouble. My experience was decidedly different. I ordered my 2006 MacBook Pro as a refurb from the Apple Store online. It arrived in "like new" condition. The only way to tell it from new was that it was in a plain brown box and the accessories weren't in their original wrappers. That machine was flawless during the 18 months I had it - I eventually sold it when I decided to get a brand new machine.

With that said, I'm sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. It's unusual in my experience - as others have mentioned, Apple does have a no-questions asked return policy for 14 days from purchase. I would have thought that the Apple Store would have offered you that option.

One of the nice things about purchasing refurbished is that they are typically gone over with a fine tooth comb by actual Apple employees, whereas the new units ship directly from the Foxconn factory where they're assembled. Otherwise, the warranty is exactly the same, so if you did have trouble, the Genius Bar should have offered to repair it.

I think that your experience with retail employees is generally greatly enhanced by your comportment, specifically, keeping an even, reasonable tone and offering constructive options to rectify the situation amicably. I tend to wonder if there wasn't a personality clash in the store, just based on how you describe the situation. I guess my question is, did you blow your top? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.