turn off imac display

Reaction score
On my old Mac Pro I had an option to turn the monitor off without shutting down the Mac or putting it in sleep mode.
acd_power_options.png

Is there also such an option on my iMac? The best solution I can find is putting it to sleep to turn the display off, but that's not permanent. More like a screensaver. When someone clicks a much, presses a keyboard key or touches the mouse, the display turns on again. Isn't there a way to make the power button work like a display on/off button?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since the iMac attempts not to differentiate between the computer and display, you can turn of the display off by putting it to sleep, but there's no finer grain control than that..

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
And if you put it to sleep, there isn't an option to only respond to certain actions before it wakes up again? So that it not wakes up when someone accidentally touches the mouse for example?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't believe there is a way of controlling what the wakeup actions are..keyboard or mouse click..I have the iMac and wireless Magic Mouse and my iMac doesn't wake up until I click the mouse, just moving or touching the mouse doesn't wake it up..

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here. I either have to press a key on the keyboard or click the mouse for the display to wake up. It works the same way on both my iMac and MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
ctrl+shift+eject :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Why not just set the power saving to put the iMac to sleep - never and turn off the display after 1 minute?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
As Mr Plow just said, a graphical respresentation:

EnergySaver.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.