Cant connect to network storage

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have just go my first mac and i am having problems connecting to my NAS.
Connectivity is fine and when I go to Go - Connect to server - put in the IP - connect I can see the shares but not gain access.

Error in the GUI is
"There was an error connecting to the server “192.168.0.10”. Check the server name or IP address, and then try again.
If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator."

I see these errors in the console I see these errors
"23/05/2011 19:49:03 /System/Library/CoreServices/NetAuthAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/NetAuthAgent[153] smb_mount: mount failed to 192.168.0.10/Share : syserr = RPC struct is bad"

"23/05/2011 19:49:04 kernel smbfs_unix_whoami: Parsing error reading the message"

I have tried authenticating as guest and a user on the NAS but I get the same errors

I can access the NAS from a Windows XP and Debian box no problem.

My version of OSX is 10.6.7 and I think I have done all available updates, assuming apple icon - system update picks them all up.

Any help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
To be clear - you went to finder
cmd-k -> and entered smb://192.168.0.10
note smb:// is important as by default the Mac will try afp.
I am also assuming your NAS is using smb from the messages you are getting.
I am assuming a lot - so you may want to put more information on what the server is, how it is running, and how you connect with your other boxes.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Ivan,
Yep, I should have said, I am putting in smb://192.168.0.10
The nas is running SMB.
The NAS a Freecom single disk box, will have to find out further details.

From windows I can just start - run to the box and from debian I can connect via the connect to server interface. it is possible that debian is using cifs to connect to network drives. I will have a look.

Also,
I just mounted the external drive via USB and i am able to access the data, so its not a file system issue.

And I have just set up a share on the XP machine and I am able to connect to that ok so its not a general networking/sharing issue on the Mac,

Cheers.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi,
In addition to the above, if I go to Go - Network I can see the NAS as an option.
when I go into the NAS I can see the shares but if I click on the share I get this error

"The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Film” can’t be found."

And in addition I see these errors in the console

24/05/2011 20:37:01 /System/Library/CoreServices/NetAuthAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/NetAuthAgent[479] smb_mount: mount failed to data/Film : syserr = RPC struct is bad

24/05/2011 20:37:01 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[98] NetworkNode::handleMountCallBack returned 72

24/05/2011 20:37:01 kernel smbfs_unix_whoami: Parsing error reading the message

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Did you install the software for the freecom drive? Don't know what is in there.
Freecom - Product - Support
http://www.freecom.com/files/Produc...riveXS/Support/Software/FNS-Assistant-MAC.zip

Here is the code for the Apple implemented smb
smbfs_smb.c
It seems that it cannot parse the response from the freecom nas as far as who you are logging in as. But I am not 100% sure how to fix that. I would try the assistant out and see if that helps.
Everyone has a different implementation of Samba - plus there is samba 3 and samba4 available on Macports - which might also help - as those are the GNU implementations of Samba.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Ivan,
Sorry for the slow reply but I have been away.
A firmware upgrade on the NAS has resolved the issue.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I have the same problem

Hello,

With my Freecom model SWPAAH I have the same problem.

smb_mount: mount failed to 192.168.1.140/PUBLIC, syserr = RPC struct is bad.

I have updated the firmware, but that was no help.

When I connect the disk with USB directly to my MacBook Air, I can read and write to the disk. However when the disk is connected with an UTP cable to my router (Cisco Lynksys 2000), I cannot mount the disk.

Herman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.