Does the finder in OS 10.6.6 have advanced search?

Reaction score
I am a web designer and have multiples of the same image (which may be in a logo file as well as files for every website I have designed). I have a lot of difficulty finding things efficiently using the finder. Is there an advanced search or way to refine my searches? Maybe something like having options such as: find only files with this title, date when created (last month, etc.), size.

Or it would be helpful if there is a way to know the size of an image without having to right-click and get info.

The finder gives a list of files, but not the size.

This inefficiency keeps me from making the Mac my main computer. Windows has these advanced search options; is it somewhere on the Mac and I just don't know it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As for the size issue, change the view type to "List" instead of column or icons. You can change this by opening a finder window then going to View > List or keyboard shortcut "cmd+2".

As for advanced searches you can use Spotlight in the top right corner or keyboard shortcut "cmd+space", or you can open a finder window and use keyboard shortcut "cmd+f" then change the settings within the window to extend your search into a certain criteria.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
You can search for almost anything with Finder. I had to select "Other" to get filesize, but there are a lot of criteria in the dropdown menu.

Attachments

• Searching “This Mac”.jpg
    Searching “This Mac”.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OR

If you want a App with a opt>spacebar shortcut to bring upo the 'finder' box i have recently found Alfred. This little beauty has continuously found files that Finder doesnt look at even with a recent re-indexing. It is basically a Advanced App Launcher with so much more to offer.

Yes *finder* is a great tool but there is better out there, and i like something that doesnt stop to think for a second then not bring up a result.

Worth a look as its free. It un obtrusive and uses little resources . . . .

EDIT Cant find a preference to show file size (there are a lot of things to play around in the preferences) but each item in the search shows the full path to each file ?? 2nd thought this might not be for you after re-reading the OP. For anyone else its a great App lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.