terminal colors

Reaction score
hi!
Is there any way to apply colors in terminal in order files/folders to differ when i connect to a server ? As you know files/folders are the same color so it would be easer for me to recognize folders or files at a glance. I have made this change
export CLICOLOR=1
export LSCOLORS=ExFxCxDxBxegedabagacad
export PS1="\[\033[1;32m\][\$(date +%H:%M)][\h:\u: \W$ \[\033[0m\] "
but it doesn't work with ssd connection through terminal.
thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
this is because you're using a different terminal emulation on your remote host. To check this, launch Terminal echo $TERM (it's likely xterm-color), then connect to the remote host and do the same. You'd have to set your terminal type (to one that supports colors) and your colors on that host as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
this is because you're using a different terminal emulation on your remote host. To check this, launch Terminal echo $TERM (it's likely xterm-color), then connect to the remote host and do the same. You'd have to set your terminal type (to one that supports colors) and your colors on that host as well.

i did that you told me and it works only for the bash prompt. i looked "man ls" and when i wrote "ls --colors" and finally it shown files/folder with different colors. But when i open a folder and after that go back the problem still exist.
do you know how this choice can be permanently ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
On your remote host - put into your ~/.bashrc
alias ls='ls --colors'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what does it say if you

echo $SHELL

interested to know what shell you're working with.. as it'll help with how to make your change persist through logins

OP
D
Reaction score

On your remote host - put into your ~/.bashrc
alias ls='ls --colors'
It finally works
thank you very much

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.