Seating RAM and keeping it seated? 15-inch/1.33 Ghz PBG4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 13" MBP, iPad2 (Wifi), iPhone4s
Hello!

The question:
Does anyone know of any way to tighten the RAM banks on an Aluminum 15-inch 1.33Ghz PowerBook G4 so the RAM doesn't keep coming unseated? Seemingly spontaneoulsy?

The explanation:
I originally posted here at this link: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/238245-powerbook-g4-hard-freezes.html#post1238753

about the problems I was having with a 15-inch 1.33Ghz/1Gb PowerBook G4.

I've been able to determine that it's not my logic board, not my hard drive, my RAM is good (swapped it out, passes tests, banks OK, even works in another Mac). I still get kernel panics (KPs) and freezes like crazy and I finally got "boops." ...3 of them on start-up.

SO I got it going, and started up TechTools Pro (before it KP'd on me) and what do I see? Only one RAM chip is recognized. Odd... I JUST SEATED IT! Opened back up....you know the drill... works a few minutes... KP. Open, re-seat, repeat.

Thanks so much!
Amy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt the modules are unseating themselves. It's more likely that one of the memory slot receptacles is damaged. And if it is, you'll need a new logic board. I know that sounds drastic and expensive, but there is no way to change out a memory slot without replacing the entire board.

What you can try:

Buy a can of compressed air at any electronic supply, blow some blasts of air into the empty memory slots. That might help although if the slot is damaged it won't make a difference. Worth a try.

If you do have to change the logic board, look in the back of MacWorld magazine. There a number of authorized Mac repair dealers who advertise and offer logic board replacement and repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
no that is how you fix a chevy :) along with bailing wire

Technically I guess you could use a dab of hot glue to keep them seated but a new motherboard would be best.

OP
evolutionairy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I JUST finished blowing out the slots and re-seating. : )

It stayed up long enough to get about 1/2 way through the disk repair of Applejack before it threw a KP this time. If the lower slot is toast, I don't think I'll replace the logic board - I was checking around for prices, and at that price I could just buy another PBG4.

Since it was running nicely on 1Gb, what do you think about slotting 1Gb in the upper bank and just saying, "oh well," if the lower slot goes completely?

Thanks!
Amy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Amy:

Since it was running nicely on 1Gb, what do you think about slotting 1Gb in the upper bank and just saying, "oh well," if the lower slot goes completely?

Save your pennies. It's time for a nice brand new shiny Mac. $$$ :)

OP
evolutionairy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Save your pennies. It's time for a nice brand new shiny Mac. $$$ :)

You are NOT wrong.:Smirk:

Fortunately, I have a shiny, relatively new Mac (2.4Ghz MBP, just over a year old). The PBG4 belongs to my housemate, and I just *hate* seeing Macs die.:'(

Because I couldn't bear to see it go, I swapped out the 160Gb HD for an 80Gb, slotted just the upper bank, installed OS X 10.5, and ran all the updates. She's been surfacing the web and checking her email for the last hour and no KPs...

Thank you all for all the input and help!

Amy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.