Glad I didn't wait for Lion

Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't wait for Lion to purchase my new iMac. The reason being is that now with Snow Leopard having been out for a while, pretty much all developers have released versions of their software to work with Snow Leopard and many have been tweeked their sfotware to fix bigs and such.

The current expectation is Lion will be released in the summer and not all developers will be releasing Lion compatable software untill some time after Lion is released.

This would be a problem for me because I determined over the weekend that iPhoto didn't quite meet my needs and I needed to download 3rd party software and luckily, they had Snow Leopard version. If I wait for Lion, I don't believe the 3rd party software that I need will be ready when Lion is released so that will mean more delay and not to mention some potential bugs as Lion is released.

With that said, I'll wait until Lion matures in it's development from 3rd parties and then upgrade when I find that I can get the 3rd party software support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
FWIW, I would say there will be very little software that works in Snow Leopard that won't work in Lion. That's the same pattern for every major OS upgrade.

Where that is software compatibility, it's normally software that does some kind of system-level interaction, not general apps that most users would encounter on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the advantage of using Snow Leopard is to wait until version OS X.7.2 or 3 is released to iron all the bugs. Usually about six to twelve months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And the advantage of using Snow Leopard is to wait until version OS X.7.2 or 3 is released to iron all the bugs. Usually about six to twelve months.

See, I would disagree about waiting. I've been an early adopter of all the Mac OS Upgrades (stretching back to System 7.1) and never had an issue. 10.6 was the only exception and that was due to hardware (I still had a PPC box) not software issues, otherwise I would have grabbed it the day it was released. I personally think too many people make to much out of early release issues that often never materialize for most users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
See, I would disagree about waiting. I've been an early adopter of all the Mac OS Upgrades (stretching back to System 7.1) and never had an issue. 10.6 was the only exception and that was due to hardware (I still had a PPC box) not software issues, otherwise I would have grabbed it the day it was released. I personally think too many people make to much out of early release issues that often never materialize for most users.

+1, same here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If any 3rd party developer is SERIOUS about their application, they'd register themselves as Mac developers and access to the preview versions of Lion that have already been released and should getting their applications to be compatible so that they can release the application the moment Lion comes out.

Once Lion is released by Apple, all new Mac's that are bought will be shipping with Lion, and 3rd parties would be remiss if they weren't ready for that event, so there is absolutely NO reason to wait to upgrade to Lion due to 3rd party application unless the 3rd party application you are using is from a company/person that hasn't done any recent updates..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.